1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM
D150Ram
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer

Well after years of having the odometer not working I decided to get new gears and fix it. I also wanted to remove the blue green bulb covers to make the dash brighter. I had changed out the dash to white gauges and it helped but it was still to dark. Everything came apart like clockwork and it was easy to do. I went ahead and pulled the bulb covers out and decided to replace a few of the bulbs that didn't look good. Put the gauges in the truck and plugged them up and the left half of the lights didn't work. I pulled the bulbs out and found the the contacts were not good. I made sure that the little wires were in the right spot and everything now works. It sure is nice having the odometer work and the white lights with the white gauges it is much brighter and easier to see.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

so are we going to get any picture? i left the stock blue covers in on both my trucks and installed led's. i now get a cool blue color of light.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM
D150Ram
Amateur

I will try and post a picture.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take any pics of your odometer repair. Can you run us through the steps. I really need to do this too.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM
D150Ram
Amateur

I googled odometer gear replacement and found a you tube video. Mine had four screws holding the clear plastic back which I removed and allowed me to get to the two screws on the side where the motor is. The circuit board slipped out and it was easy after that. My small gears was missing several teeth and a couple where attached to the large gear. I was a little nervous about tearing into the speedometer but it was rather easy. Some one had a good write up with pictures that I found a few months ago but I could not find it again. The you tube video did help. I took a picture of the dash with the without the blue green bulb covers tonight and will try and post them tomorrow. I am not real computer savy and will get some help tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well don't hold back LOL... post the youtube link so we can see it too.

I took out those blue caps a while back. I can easily read the gauges at a glance and they match my aftermarket gauges now. I like the way it came out so much that I took them out of the 76 RC cluster also.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM
D150Ram
Amateur

Well I tried to post a picture of the dash but it did not work. I will try again tomorrow.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Mopar Trucks
Rookie

Where did you get the new gears? My 86 D-150 odometer works fine but my 90 D-150 is TU and I need to fix it. I am also curious about the LED light change over, my dash lights work but are dim like most and about the only mod I have done to date is take the bulb out of the stupid Main Req slot.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

changing to led's is easy. just have to make sure you got the sockets that you can actually replace the bulbs in. i know my 91 had the lights soldered to the sockets and it would be easier and cheaper to replace the sockets than to make it work with led lights. i think the biggest and hardest thing is choosing the right led lights. i like the inverted led lights a lot more than the focused led's i original ordered for my truck.
Name:  19420inverted.gif
Views: 43
Size:  46.3 KB
Name:  19420focused.gif
Views: 53
Size:  32.6 KB

Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Mopar Trucks
Rookie

Thanks wolfie, so there is no other mod other than just replacing the bulbs and maybe the sockets? I guess I was expecting some long drawn out procedure and I hate electrical work.

Quick Reply: Odometer