1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Camshaft help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, like headers and exhaust.

I can say from experience that the biggest BFTB upgrades are, headers and exhaust, new carb (jetted correctly) intake, and of course, a cam that works with the intake, carb and headers. Most who go from a 2bbl to 4bbl forget the cam for the 2bbl is not up to snuf for a 4bbl and most also overcarburate.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i don't know if you would need new rockers unless one of your old ones are broke. new ones can be kind of expensive
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...small-block-la
Im with you. For $600, you can buy a few more ponies than rockers will provide. I would say, run your stock ones. Not sure how many miles you have on your engine, but I might consider new lifters. They are much cheaper than rockers, and they can wear out.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
therd27
Amateur

I probably over thought the rocker arms because this is my first real engine rebuilt I just don't want to put all that money and time into it and something fail in the first couple months

Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM
therd27
Amateur

Sniper X I haven't started ordering parts yet just getting a little info before I do I have an edelbrock intake and carb already just savin up for the heads

Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by therd27
Sniper X I haven't started ordering parts yet just getting a little info before I do I have an edelbrock intake and carb already just savin up for the heads
That is a good combo. I have seen as much as a 100hp gain over stock from a set of Edlebrock heads, manifold, cam and lifters along with qwuality headers and exhaust and of course, a pro tune on a dyno or at least someone who knows how to jet. On jetting, I have been doing jetting on both cars and motorcycles since about 1972. I have seen someone stick a 4bbl carb on a car with dyno it untouched and get say a total RWP of 320. After they do a fine tune on the jetting I have seen as much as a 20+ rwhp gain. It is amazing how much you can get from just jetting a carb right. PLUS if you match the carb heads, cam and exhaust, that is a key.....as long as your ignition is right for the job too.

Quick Reply: Camshaft help