1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine preformance ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013 | 11:49 AM
Slednx
|

okay thanks sniper x. I have decided on a magnum swap, I just have to find the engine and components now. Currently though i am working at getting my truck cleaned up while i still work at a body shop so the swap will have to wait till next summer which i guess does give me time to find what i need. Thanks everyone for the info! Its what i needed to know.

Old 06-29-2013 | 12:49 AM
ghonhee
Rookie

Hey Slednx, keep us posted. I'm seriously considering doing the same thing here in the next few weeks. I have the same set up.

Old 06-29-2013 | 02:18 PM
Sniper X
Captain

If I wanted more power I would just do a cam, headers, carb, intake, and 340 race heads. Possibly even aftermarket pistons. You can find good 318 or 360 builder motors on the local Cl for peanuts and build them to full potential then swap them out in a weekend. Shoot, you can build a 318/340 to well over 300hp easily and that would rock in a truck. Sure you could not pass smog, but no one who has to does this anyway.

Old 06-29-2013 | 02:58 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

ya but you could also get a magnum engine and swap it in for less than what you mentioned and still pass emissions. to keep it emission legal all you have to do is swap all the emission equipment out of the vehicle you pulled the engine from into your older truck.

Old 06-30-2013 | 12:43 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Yeah, that is true. So when someone does a mag swap do you have to use the entire wiring harness from the doner truck?

Old 06-30-2013 | 01:18 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i don't think you would have to use the entire harness. just mainly the harness under the hood.

Old 07-21-2013 | 08:05 PM
Slednx
|

thats all i was going to do for swapping a magnum into mine, was just using the harness under the hood. I've actually found something better than a magnum that I'm working at getting my hands on right now, a 4bt cummins that looks new and has been sitting the past couple years. I have experience with the 12v first gen cummins since i use to own one so i am trying real hard to get this engine

Old 10-17-2013 | 01:39 AM
bewhoppers

im having the same restiction problems on my 91 d250, im wanting about 100 more horse before you could just add a cam, mill the head 10 to up the comp ratio, good aluminum intake, big tube headers and a free flow aircleaner and you had it, im going to try it with my 91 its has a little advantage tho it has a 4 speed automatic with 4;11 in the rear im going to try a little above an rv cam, headers, maybe a streetmaster intake with the tbi adapter ill try to keep you posted if it works ok it a couple months down the road project

Quick Reply: Engine preformance ideas?