1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1988 Dodge Ram D250 5.2L

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013 | 04:59 PM
wjxavier
|
Record Breaker
Default 1988 Dodge Ram D250 5.2L

Having some issues here on this truck that we need some help with. Went to do a tune-up, and when all was said and done, cranked the truck over and shorted a wire. Ever since then, the truck will crank but will not start. Replaced ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor button, hall-effect, ECM, ASD relay, starter relay, idle speed control relay ,and oil pressure sensor.

Now we're getting proper voltage TO the ignition coil, and spark is coming OUT of the ignition coil, but it doesnt seem that strong, and it does not get spark TO the plugs. Kind of at a loss here. It almost seems that the ignition coil isn't putting out enough spark, or that the distributor cap isnt distributing. The distributor IS turning, because the rotor button will be in a different position after we crank it, so thats not an issue.

We're seriously at a loss here and can't find ANY info or help as to how to remedy this problem...it also seems that this particular truck was a year that they decided to be like, "hmmmmmm lets see if THIS works!" so we kind of have a franken-truck on our hands. Even some sections in the Haynes manual does not correlate correctly with whats actually on the truck. So that isn't necessarily helping matters either.

If anyone could give us some advice or help, Id really appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 06-25-2013 | 06:08 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

did you try putting the old cap and rotor back on?

also you could try bringing number 1 cylinder to top dead center and see where the rotor is pointing. you could have possibly mixed up the plug wires.

Old 06-25-2013 | 07:19 PM
wjxavier
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
did you try putting the old cap and rotor back on?

also you could try bringing number 1 cylinder to top dead center and see where the rotor is pointing. you could have possibly mixed up the plug wires.
we have tried the old cap, but can't find the old rotor button. if we can find it, i'll try that as well. however, even if we mixed up the plug wires, or turned the distributor 180* (which we haven't and checked multiple times) we'd still get at least some type of fire of some kind and it'd just run like crap. however, we're not getting a darn thing and it just cranks and cranks.

also, i noticed that the fuel pump doesn't come on when the ignition is turned on. idk if the fuel pump is in correlation at all with ignition, but would a burned out fuel pump cause a no-spark/weak-spark condition?

i keep telling my buddy (this is his truck) that this would be a perfect candidate for a 440 swap, but he's being stubborn hahaha

Old 06-25-2013 | 07:42 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

get a bit of fuel or starting fluid and try pouring it down the TB. if it starts the fuel pump may be your issue.

Old 06-30-2013 | 09:30 AM
wjxavier
|
Record Breaker

sorry it's been awhile I have been busy. We have already tried putting fuel in the TB but it still doesn't fire because we are not getting spark but I was wondering if the fuel pump is tied into the ignition system and maybe causing no spark? kinda lost here so any info would be appreciated.

Old 06-30-2013 | 10:23 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the fuel pump is tied into the ignition system. did you check to to if there is power at the asd relay

Old 07-04-2013 | 11:06 AM
wjxavier
|
Record Breaker

we've basically replaced every single engine/ignition electrical component on this truck. basically at a complete loss here. replaced all relays, replaced computer, coil, heli-coil, i mean, everything that was remotely involved with ignition or running of the engine, we replaced it.

the only thing we haven't replaced, is the ignition switch, but that seems to be working perfectly fine and i dont believe it actually is tied into the actual spark of the truck.

another update, we went ahead and replaced the fuel pump too hoping we'd be able to hear it coming on...didnt hear it come on at all...and we're definitely not getting the 14.5 psi on the line that the books calls for. it only trickles out a little bit. regardless, we've replaced the ASD/fuel pump relay as well. also, i looked at all the fusible links and none of them are blown...

this seriously has me stumped and i'm about 2 seconds away from just swapping to a carb and points ignition system. because this is just getting ridiculous...

Old 07-04-2013 | 11:18 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

that is your problem. you are actually testing anything? the asd relay supplies power to pretty much everything including the fuel pump so you may want to test and see of it is getting power like it should since it has it's own fusible link that is separate from the other fusible links.

Old 07-05-2013 | 01:53 PM
wjxavier
|
Record Breaker

Its got voltage to the relay. Where is its fusible link? Are they right there close to the rest of them? I checked all the links i could see and none of them are blown.

Old 07-05-2013 | 02:28 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

so you got voltage at terminal 30? if so the fusible link is not the problem.

Quick Reply: 1988 Dodge Ram D250 5.2L