1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help please dads about to move and everything i try wont fix it

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014 | 03:15 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to take an inventory of what's going on here.

A) Sometimes you can put it in drive, and move it, but when you come to a stop, it won't do anything. Right?
Will it go into reverse? Will it upshift to second or third gear?

B) It currently has slightly too much fluid. Right?
What color is it? Does it smell burnt?

That said, will it clunk at all when you move the shifter from neutral to reverse or drive? Do you hear a hissing or any movement of fluid?

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what you meant in your first post, by "I lost power going up hills, no matter how much gas I gave it". I can't tell if you are describing slipping, or being stuck in third gear.

There is a chance that the transmission is still good. Potentially, the previous owner changing the filter could have either thinned out the fluid too much for the worn clutches to grab, or knocked some crud into the valve body. If you have the bands adjusted properly, and change the filter again, you might have some luck. It's a gamble, but it's what I would do (if I'm understanding this right).
Sounds like you got it accept the part where he drove it 35 miles with only enough fluid to register on the end of the distick.
Thats alot of fluid missing and likely toasted the tranny.
Also he over filled it when he did fill it and overfilling can cause foaming which in turn tranny is sucking air insted of fluid which is not good either.
It's worth the effort to pull the pan check to see what in there and what it smells like.
You have to drain it anyways to pull the tranny to rebuild it.

Dave

Old 02-16-2014 | 06:35 AM
Cmckinney99
|
Professional

It always shifts ive moved prolly 30 feet since it go home when i start it it goes like its brand new no slipping and going up hills it was slowing down having troubles

Old 02-16-2014 | 11:27 AM
SR2K

Originally Posted by Cmckinney99
It always shifts ive moved prolly 30 feet since it go home when i start it it goes like its brand new no slipping and going up hills it was slowing down having troubles
So what you're saying is it isnt downshifting going up hills?

Quick Reply: Help please dads about to move and everything i try wont fix it