1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Converting W350 to lockout hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sls001
Question;

Didn't you say in the past your axles and other driveline parts were from an 85 here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...questions.html

I've been trying to figure out what's going on since these hubs would not fit on a 78 dodge axle and a 78 would never have had CAD.

What transfer case do you have?
Indeed I did. Good memory. Lol.
My truck was originally a '78 2wd, 1/2 ton. I needed a heavier truck and 4x4, but the '78 was in far too good of shape to scrap, so... I found an '85 4x4 1-ton and swapped my '78 body onto the chassis. Scrapped the '85 body.
Now its has a multi-port fuel injected 5.9 out of a '95 Ram, a NV4500 from a 2500 Ram, rolling chassis of an '85 and a body of a '78. I know... Its a cluster. Lol. Try explaining that to the kid at the parts store, when he asks "What year is it?" I try to simplify it and tell them the year of the part I need, but they often argue the vintage of my truck.

By the way, I wish my memory was as good as yours. I might have remembered that you already knew how easy this would be. You were right on the money with your info!

Last edited by Scooter78; 02-28-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOOD NEWS!
Hubs are on! They work great, aside from one of my bearings needs attention, (bought yesterday, will install today) so the pass side hub doesn't have the 1/8" play that the instructions ask for. Its pretty snug. Once I have my new bearings in, it should work even better.
Also: Reversing the range fork in the CAD works like a charm I simply removed the snap rings holding the fork in place on the shaft, as well as the ring holding the shaft in the CAD housing; removed the shaft from the housing, flipped the range fork around, and reassembled it. The snap rings hold the fork perfectly in location to keep the axle connecting collar centered equally over each axle shaft. Its almost like Dodge knew the CAD would need to be easily over-ridden. Ill try to get a pic of the fresh hubs up a little later.

Quick Reply: Converting W350 to lockout hubs?