1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help finding a wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 06:27 PM
bfreeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding a wiring harness

The ignition switch went out on the truck in my sig a few days ago. I wasn't in a huge hurry to get it fixed at the time. Then it turned out that I was going to need it this week. I was having a hard time trying to find the switch in time so I decided I would go with a toggle switch and push button for the starter since I had everything I needed laying around. Just until I could get a new switch in.

I got it all wired up no problem, turned out that the battery was also dead. Bought a new battery and when I put it in a bunch of the harness fried. I pulled the cables right away and once the smoke cleared i got to see the damage.

The way it looks right now the easiest thing to do is get a new harness and rewire the whole truck. The problem is that I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Does anyone know where I could find one. I haven't had any luck with junk yards. I've even looked into the painless setups but it looks like they only have one for Mopars and it only goes up to 76 i believe.

I have been thinking about doing this since I got the truck. I don't have much of a choice right now. I think I am about the 5th owner and the wiring was real bad before i started on it. At one time it was a fire truck in Texas, and went all over the country after that. There are wire nuts and loose wires everywhere under both the hood and dash.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You must have wired it wrong and fried the harness. No one to my knowledge is making them so you will have to find one in a junk yard or ebay. May try craigs list for someone junking a truck that you could get it out of. And buy a wiring diagram, They are mandatory for a job like this!

Old 01-09-2016, 10:22 PM
bfreeman

I've been trying to track down a good wiring diagram. Anyone have any ideas on where I could find one.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:27 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bfreeman
I've been trying to track down a good wiring diagram. Anyone have any ideas on where I could find one.

I would likely be in BOOK form on that one. Those had fusible links too.

http://repairinfo.alldatadiy.com/Dod...atic_H2t78.php

Last edited by TNtech; 01-10-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Warlock_III
Amateur

Try locating a used one on Car-Part.com. You'll be surprised how many used/recyclers are near you that you didn't know about.

Quick Reply: Need help finding a wiring harness