1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Stop lubricants

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 06:09 PM
RoyalGorgeD250
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stop lubricants

85 D-250 (318, NP-435, Dana 60, 87 ferd 16" 8 lug rims)

I'm slowly getting this rig fixed up but I have an issue that I've had on both my previous D 150's (a 79 and an 80) with steering stop noise when turning a full lock to the right.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a source for the correct wax based lube for the stops?

Or do I just grind my dentures together so they're louder than the noise from the stops??

Budd

(Whose starting to appreciate the "trunk space" utility beds have . . . . .)

Old 02-14-2016, 02:43 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

chassis grease is all I ever used.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

steering stop noise when turning a full lock to the right.
??? I think you are hearing the belt slip on the ps pump. it shouldn't make any noise when you hit the stop unless it's something else.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 AM
RoyalGorgeD250
Amateur

Originally Posted by primem
chassis grease is all I ever used.
I've tried that several times but my town has streets reminiscent of city streets in many small eastern towns ... narrow with curbside parking and the chassis grease rubs off in a short time.

There used to be a weather resistant wax based lube for them but I've not seen any for years in the parts stores.

Thanks for the reply.

Budd

Old 02-14-2016, 10:32 AM
RoyalGorgeD250
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
??? I think you are hearing the belt slip on the ps pump. it shouldn't make any noise when you hit the stop unless it's something else.
Excuse me, but I've been turning wrenches since 1961 (started out on small engines and I turn 69 in six days) and worked ten years as a heavy equipment mechanic and journeyman millwright ... so there is a slight possibility I would know the sound of a v-belt squealing as compared to metal-to-metal grinding, don't ya think?

<VBG>

Budd

Old 02-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

No need to give me your life history, I'm just trying to understand your question. ( steering stop noise ) You may want to describe the "noise".

Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

No need to give me your life history, I'm just trying to understand your question. ( steering stop noise ) You may want to describe the "noise".
That's what I was thinking to.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:14 PM
RoyalGorgeD250
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
That's what I was thinking to.
Gentlemen,

The noise is a rough, loud grinding noise that occurs when making full lock right turns in reverse or, at a slightly lower volume, low speed forward directions of travel as the suspension on the passenger side flexes to accommodate variances in the surface of the ground/road.

I have, in the past and in better health, crawled under the vehicles while stopped in positions that have resulted in the noises and observed the steering stops on the right hand spindles in contact with the rearward pointing stub on strut rod as well as checking those contact points after returning the steering to the straight ahead position and seeing bare metal surfaces from the rubbing.

It is not the tire rubbing the wheel opening as I run stock width tires on my vehicles with stock offset rims, though the D250 does have Ford 16" X 6" rims which may have a different offset than the OEM 16.5" X 6" rims.

The noise does not happen when turning to the left and the front suspension and steering linkage was rebuilt less than 2000 miles ago and aligned at a local tire shop with an excellent reputation for their work.

I apologize for thinking I had explained this problem in my OP as I apparently failed to do so.

Budd

Last edited by RoyalGorgeD250; 02-15-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:23 PM
RoyalGorgeD250
Amateur

I see you didn't see the smiley or the VBG in the reply, but your reply gave me the impression you didn't think I know diddly about vehicles and I wanted to correct that.

My apologies.

Budd

Last edited by RoyalGorgeD250; 02-15-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:25 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting that only the right stop hits and not the left. This all occurred after the suspension work and alignment?

just thinking out loud here: the steering box was centered at it high point when the toe was set. You have equal steering turning in both directions? Is the steering box capable of moving to the left far enough to hit the left stop?

Last edited by primem; 02-15-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Stop lubricants