1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

getting another dodge truck - but 1st gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 04:41 AM
William Chaple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting another dodge truck - but 1st gen

Hey guys was wondering if the 1st gens are really reliable - meaning once you fix them, they are good to go for 100k 200k more miles without issues...say an engine rebuild on a w100

also...can these vehicles go 70 mph on the high now and days as long as everything is fixed properly - or would it be pretty unsafe to do since its an older vehicle

Old 03-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Depends on the condition and how you are going to use it. The 80's trucks had some emission controls that where problematic. I have a 78 Power wagon witch i drove for a few years. It has 3.55 ratio axles so doing 65 on the highway the engine rpm was up to about 3 grand. Not good for wear or gas mileage. I would like to get a second gen frame and drive train and put the body on it. Have best of both worlds! Driveability and old school looks. If everything on the vehicle is sound you should be ok. Depending on the year some had issues that should be addressed. The amp gauge issue that plagued the 70's trucks is one of them.

Quick Reply: getting another dodge truck - but 1st gen