1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1st Gen Ram Wire Diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:34 AM
timthemechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1982 wiring mess solved

1982 Dodge d150 - electrical short fried dash wiring and then made worse by supposed experience 23 year old mechanic attempt to install electric trailer brake controller, then kinda went nuts looking for the fault.
Started this job yesterday. what a mess. Only wire marked was a white wire with a black colored thin stripe down it called a tracer. A little tape tag with the word "Hot". Problems just got worse from there. That color code on this truck just happened to be the negative lead to every component in the cab. I chased that lead to the melted headlight connector, fried switch was already removed and sitting on the seat next to a new one. The fuse box was pulled down near the floorboard. 2 fuse slots were melted with wires missing. Found several live 12v bare wires in the mess. I followed burned white wire lead to the gauges, door switches, seat belt buzzer, heater, lighter socket and glove box light. Replaced about 4' of it, soldered and shrink wrapped it. Chased down a plug for the light switch the hard way. Check out how I found a part not sold new, that no used parts yards saved.
After searching CL for someone parting one, local pull your own part yards for an early '80's dodge truck, nothing. I went on my commercial account O'Reilly's website and looked up the switch. Got the part #. Then click on this little link that says compatibility. That same switch was used in Chrysler., Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth and even 1 year of Mercedes! From 1973 to '99. Looked those up at the nearest yard, found about 10. Took maybe 45 minutes. Last row, found a match in a '94 Cherokee.
I soldered about 15 connections in all, pulled matching coded wire from one of the huge harnesses I held onto outback. All circuits up and going. Of course the Power Probe III, a wiring diagram found on this Dodge forum, printer helped. The wiring diagram is actually 4 pages and the repair were done on 4 separate leads that ran through all 4 pages. I still have to fix the 2 line missing from the fuse box with inline fuses, and reinstall covers.
I had to get into this and get it done because if I put it off it would be around for weeks. I don't have space. Hopefully the info here will help someone.

The following users liked this post:
StraightSixList (08-15-2023)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:04 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-17-2020, 03:28 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

"As of January 31st, 2020, the TSB & Wiring Diagram Database is no longer a service offered by BBB Industries."

Thank you to O.P. for the wiring diagrams

Last edited by 69_XS29L; 02-17-2020 at 03:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
86Dodgeman (06-20-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 06:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L

"As of January 31st, 2020, the TSB & Wiring Diagram Database is no longer a service offered by BBB Industries."

Thank you to O.P. for the wiring diagrams
Wow, that is a major bummer. That site was invaluable.....

Old 05-31-2020, 09:06 PM
rick young
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

86 Dodgeman the diagrams you have up are a great help..would you have pages 4 of 6 an 5 of 6 the rear of the truck..thanks, Egor

Old 06-20-2020, 07:15 PM
86Dodgeman
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I do not, but they are pretty easy to figure out for the back, as it is lights and your gas tank. Literally all you should have running to the bed is power for lights, and ground wires. if you run them the same as the head light pig tails you should be fine.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:56 PM
Bwainsp1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 86Dodgeman
So I think this should be a permanent post. It took me months of scrubbing the internet, but I finally found a set of First gen Wire Diagrams that give all wire color codes for ALL components, unlike Chiltons and other manuals that don't break down ignition switches and so on. I know they are accurate for my 86 for most wires (some components not installed on my truck), and I know the ignition wires match my setup which is what I have been looking for forever. I am not 100% sure how many years they apply to for first gen trucks, but it is better than nothing and should help A LOT of people out on here. I know they helped me more than I can express in words.
new here. 1993 D250, electric windows don't work. Switch passes power thru, and the motor works when jumped from battery. Suspect bad ground. Can you tell me which wire going into the switch is the ground for the system, and where it is actually grounded? Or, what else it could be? Is that also the ground for the px door?

Thank you for any help

Old 08-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Polye86_RoyalSE
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not Just Electrical

Figured I’d share this since I read that the data base closed.

I have the actual 86 service manual. If anyone needs anything out of it uploaded let me know in a PM. And once I’m able I’m going to actually scan it into a PDF so we can potentially put it on the server or I can leave it in a link in my signature for people to go view in google or Dropbox

Old 09-14-2020, 10:33 PM
Polye86_RoyalSE
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From The 86 FSM.

The following 2 users liked this post by Polye86_RoyalSE:
Hothed20 (04-20-2021), Xombi (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 10:13 AM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you kind sir. May the Flying Spaghetti Monster speed all your journeys. May you be touched by his noodily appendage.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Ram Wire Diagrams