1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Having a couple issues with my new to me truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:17 PM
fishermanof93
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

started an engine tear down last week so i have kind of dropped the 4wd issue will hopefully have it put back together this weekend. where does the switch get its vacuum from?? i haven't been able to track down any lines that go to the engine but maybe am just overlooking something.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:20 PM
fishermanof93
Amateur

Originally Posted by moparborn
The 88 318 should be F.I.,unless it was a late 87, early 88,360 or someone changed things.
Sounds like a vacuum leak for the running issue and maybe the 4wd issue.
Does that have a disconnect front axle?if so do yourself a favor and through the vacuum portion away and get the mechanical operated kit.
found the vacuum leak on the running issue. made a big difference. it was the hose in the above pictures. maybe im an idiot but i think if its been working since 88 it probably just needs a refresh. it was working during test drive then the thing died cause of bad coil i didn't buy it for a few months after that and know a couple people had tinkered with a few things on it after the original test drive.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:04 AM
fishermanof93
Amateur

so found a vac line that appears to have been cut and removed. maybe i was incorrect about the 4wd working during test drive but idk. my question is where is the vac line coming from the engine suppose to tie into the system at?

Old 02-27-2017, 03:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Should be a white line coming down from the passenger side of the intake. There is a bag o' snakes over there that it hits toward the back.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:03 PM
fishermanof93
Amateur

I have from engine side back I don't. Does it go to switch first or bad reservoir.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:44 PM
fishermanof93
Amateur

sorry ^ was with phone what i ment is it looks like there is a line coming from the engine towards the back can't find the cut on the back but i bet it is related. where does the line from the engine go? does it go to the vac switch or the reservoir?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM
fishermanof93
Amateur

I know I got a couple of things going within this same thread but. I got the motor all back together checked compression. 149 to 152 on all cylinders which I am very happy with. Started right up and ran decent moved distributor around a bit and she was idling like a dream. Then she started smoking like a chimney I stopped it pretty quickly as it was dark out and don't have good lighting to look at everything good. I think it was probably just stuff like we 40/ antifreeze/water that got in places I couldn't get out when I took off the heads and everything during rebuild but and confirmation would sure help me sleep better tonight

Old 03-02-2017, 11:08 AM
fishermanof93
Amateur

got it running good and my distributor is now having problems which is awesome. going to work on that soon. got vacuum to the vacuum motor now but it isn't locking in going to look into that this weekend hopefully. smoke was from the large amount of coolant i forgot i had dumped down the exhaust when i pulled the head.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

There should be a vacuum diagram sticker somewhere under the hood. It will show where all the lines go. If you don't have one, should be able to find a pic online somewhere....

Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 PM
fishermanof93
Amateur

got the distributor rebuilt and was still having problems traced to a bad ground late last night so haven't drove it yet. this is my second vehicle so don't need to rush it. as far as the vacuum i think i got it kinda sorta figured out. switching is working just not engaging. probably that vacuum motor on the CAD. thanks for all the help