1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

78 dodge d150 318 auto engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 10:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

yup. i have heard it is a big pain. around here emissions it a waste of money and time especially since it is now free(carbon tax). vehicles are not like they use to be back when they were carbed and could be wasting fuel if not tuned just right because people were too cheap to get tune ups.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Years ago there was a additive that you put in your gas tank that would guarantee you pass emissions. Don't know if they still make it and if they(CA) actually look for the emissions stuff on a motor. It might be an option. ???
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Guara...Fl-Oz/19853345

Old 12-24-2017, 09:53 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
Years ago there was a additive that you put in your gas tank that would guarantee you pass emissions. Don't know if they still make it and if they(CA) actually look for the emissions stuff on a motor. It might be an option. ???
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Guara...Fl-Oz/19853345
you must be joking about running that stuff right? i think i would sooner fill my engine full of diesel and let it sit instead of running that stuff. .i doubt they even sell that in callifornia. it says right on the walmart page California Proposition 65 Warning: California Proposition 65: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. California Proposition 65: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
you must be joking about running that stuff right? i think i would sooner fill my engine full of diesel and let it sit instead of running that stuff. .i doubt they even sell that in callifornia. it says right on the walmart page California Proposition 65 Warning: California Proposition 65: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. California Proposition 65: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Everything causes cancer in california. Besides, you are burning it in your engine, not drinking it.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:21 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Everything causes cancer in california. Besides, you are burning it in your engine, not drinking it.
i know. i still don't really see it helping a vehicle pass an smog test tho. just more snake oil to trick people out of there money. i could see filling the engine with diesel doing more to clean and loose all the crud and carbon than the snake oil and the diesel costs about the same

Old 12-24-2017, 10:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i know. i still don't really see it helping a vehicle pass an smog test tho. just more snake oil to trick people out of there money. i could see filling the engine with diesel doing more to clean and loose all the crud and carbon than the snake oil and the diesel costs about the same
Will a fuel injected engine even run on diesel? Maybe a partial mixture......

Yeah, it truly amazes me some of the products on the market, and their obviously false marketing claims...... Quite frankly, it is pretty much simply fraud..... yet with clever wording, they get away with it...... and make money.......

Old 12-24-2017, 11:30 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

not run the engine on diesel. fill the engine block to clean it out. could even use gas if you wanted. pretty much cleaning all the carbon and build ups in the engine i you will the block with a cleaner.

yup it is pretty unfortunate but then again you can also blame the people that are foolish enough to buy the stuff without doing any research.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

You can say that with all the "stop leak" products out there. There may be some truth to lowering the emissions with it but really never looked into it. You can lower emissions by running a motor on alcohol.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:16 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

You can say that with all the "stop leak" products out there. There may be some truth to lowering the emissions with it but really never looked into it. You can lower emissions by running a motor on alcohol.
but if the engine is wore out there is really no amount of alcohol or chemicals that will make it pass a e-test especially in California.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard in CA if the vehicle is from out of state(not sold new in CA) you don't have to have all the CA emissions. Not sure how true that is. ??? Instead of rebuilding get a 360 magnum with low miles. You will need to do some mods to retro fit the emissions stuff(egr mainly) but not impossible.
http://www.magnumswap.com/first-steps/
he will NEVER get a swap motor to pass in nazifornia....not in a million years.

Quick Reply: 78 dodge d150 318 auto engine rebuild