1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1992 D150 Long crank time and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:16 PM
RamMan1992
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 D150 Long crank time and other problems

I have a 1992 D150 5.2L that ran fine when I got it then I lent it to a friend for a few months while I was out of town. He said it ran fine for him too. It ran well for a couple weeks after I got back. Then it wouldn't start after I drove it to the grocery store. Let it set there for 3-4 hours then it started on first crank. After a week or so it died at Auto Zone and I had to feed gas in through the throttle body to start it and I had to keep the RPMs high to keep fuel getting to the engine. I took hoses and wires off of the fuel pump, cleaned them, and reconnected them. I also changed the fuel filter and ran some sea foam through it. Now it runs fine when warm but is a little shaky until you get up to 25-30 mph for the first time. Also the crank time is a good 5-7 sec unless you prime it (on-off-on-off-ignition) then it starts up with a good roar before going to a mild idle.

Part of me thinks the roughness when cold might just be the transmission warming up. When in park, the engine doesn't sound odd but it jumps when first driving for a good 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Almost like it is either loosing fuel pressure and instantly gaining it back or the transmission is slipping for a second.

Side note: The truck is fine with being filled part way. Though when I fill it until the auto stop on the pump kicks in, it'll pour a good cup of fuel out of the top of the fuel tank. Haven't located the exact spot though.

Msc Info;
Error Codes: 12,55
Fluid, Brake, and Anti-lock lights are on
New temp sensor but temp gauge doesn't move from cold even in 80+ degree weather and when upper coolant hose is hot.

Thanks for the help,
RamMan

Old 12-27-2017, 03:47 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would almost wonder if the fuel pump might be starting to fail which is why it will take 5-7 seconds of cranking unless you prime the system by cycling the key.

have you checked the transmission fluid level? make sure the truck is running in neutral.

gas tanks are plastic so it shouldn't be coming from the tank. possibly a hole in the filler neck.

i would probably just unplug the abs module. it is behind the glove box. you open the glove box and push down on the center at the back and open it all the way. then unplug the computer. should shut the lights off.

are you sure you replaced the right sensor? was it a 1 wire or 2 wire sensor? the 2 wire sensor is for the computer and the 1 wire 1 is for the gauge. i think they are on oposit side of the intake. pretty sure the one for the gauge should be on the side by the alternator possibly buried right beside the a/c compressor if you have a/c

Old 12-27-2017, 01:55 PM
RamMan1992

Is there anyway to test the fuel pump to see if it is in fact failing? The guy I bought the truck from said he had just replaced it and that was about a year ago.

The transmission fluid is good, but there is a small leak. Probably just an old gasket.

I replaced the coolant sensor on the left side of the engine behind the alternator. If I remember correctly it has a 1 pin connector. I might just try to clean the connectors with some electric parts cleaner.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The sensor the PCM uses *should* have a two wire connector.......

Old 12-27-2017, 05:01 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the guy i bought my 93 from said he replaced the fuel pump in it also but a year after buying it the fuel pump started failing on it also. some stuff just does not last at all. i can't really think of anything else that would cause it to act like it is running out of fuel. if you got access to a fuel pressure tester you should be able to check the pressure and see if it is dropping off after shutting the engine off and how quick it is possibly doing it. i have heard some parts stores have tool lending programs. might be worth looking into.

try grounding the wire that runs to the single wire at the temp sensor and then going back into the truck and turning the key to the run position. if the wiring/gauge is good it should cause the gauge to max out.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:04 PM
RamMan1992

The temp sensor was one wire and when I grounded it it went all the way to the right. Maybe my commute just doesn't warm the engine that much cause I put a new sensor in less than a month ago.

I'm gonna test the fuel pressure this weekend then probably change the fuel pump out.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I think there are two sensors on your truck. Look for the other one where the heater hose goes to the intake manifold.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:43 PM
RamMan1992

There are two sensors but the other one seems fine. The 1 wire is the one I replaced but I did find the two wire one.

I just went out to try to start it and it just cranked. Pushed the schrauder valve on the fuel rail and no fuel came out. Guess i do need a new fuel pump

Quick Reply: 1992 D150 Long crank time and other problems