1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1st Gen Dash Screw Locations

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:28 AM
atwill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen Dash Screw Locations

I just bought a 1990 W250 that had rats in it. Main nest is inside and on top of the heater box. So I'm taking out the entire interior. I've got everything but the dash out. I'm working in my driveway by myself, so removing the windshield really isn't an option. Does anyone has a picture that shows where the upper dash screws are? I'm hoping I can trim the gasket where they are and get them out. I plan to do new window gaskets next year, so I'm not too worried if it weakens the gasket. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:10 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you don't have a/c it is pretty easy to just pull the entire heater box out. i would probably consider removing the heater box and cleaning thing out over removing the dash. i think there is about 10 screws holding the dash at the top. just pry up on the gasket a bit here and there and you will find them eventually. you really should pull the heater box anyways to clean it out and grease things. they tend to start sticking with age.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:13 AM
atwill

It has a/c, so it’s all one big box. I hadn’t tried prying the gasket yet. Guess I’ll give that a shot.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:22 AM
atwill

So it turns out you can get the dash out without taking out the windshield. Of course this way really only works if you are already planning to replace the windshield gasket. Mine was already leaking at both corners, so it was on the list come spring. Hopefully if anyone else is looking to do the same thing this might help.

Not sure if all 1st gens have the same number, but there are 7 screws on mine. It’s hard to see, but there is a screw half way between the outside edge and the vin tag on the drivers side.

First I cut 1/2” off the bottom of the gasket all the way across. Then once I could see the screws I used an exacto knife to cut circular openings above/around each screw.

Close up

I didn’t want to cut any more gasket away, so I needed a thin wall socket. Took a 5/16” socket to the belt sander.

Then after some wrangling, it was out.

And just one of the nests inside this thing. 5 dead guys right there alone.

Again I wouldn’t do this and leave it long term, but for a quick fix necessity it worked.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Dash Screw Locations