1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93 W250 NV5600 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:51 AM
elkvis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 W250 NV5600 Conversion

I've been thinking about doing some performance upgrades on my 93 W250 5.9 Magnum, and I don't think any of the available automatic transmission options are going to meet my needs (moderate/high torque capacity + overdrive). I've therefore been considering converting it to a manual transmission, and I stumbled into an opportunity to buy an NV5600 from a 2003 Ram, with about 330k miles. The only real concern I have is finding a bell housing that will fit both my engine and that transmission. I can find all of the other components easily enough, but I need to know whether a bell housing even exists (V10/Hemi?), or if I might need to have one specially modified, and if it's realistic to do so.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:02 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i really don't see why you would need to look any further than the trans that is in your truck. you know they got 46RH transmission putting up with 2000ft-lbs of torque in diesel trucks? i am pretty sure you can get it built to put up with anything your engine can put out. the level 2 viper tranmission from patc is rated for 500hp or if your that worried you could always step up toe the mega viper which is rated to support up to 700hp.
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/x/

Old 03-26-2018, 11:11 AM
elkvis
Amateur

With all due respect, I didn't create this thread to have people try to convince me to keep my automatic. If it's a realistic option, I'll be doing a manual conversion, regardless of the availability of upgraded automatic transmissions, because I've always preferred to have three pedals rather than two. I appreciate your suggestion, but it's not really what this thread is about.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

In a brief search, I don't come up with anything for the NV5600 to V-8...... NV4500 came behind the 360s from the factory though...... I would suggest finding a parts truck, and getting everything you need in one brief flash of cash.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i have never heard of anyone sticking a nv5600 in a gas truck either. it is even not a super common swap on 1st gen diesels because it is such a large transmission that i think it actually requires modifying the transmission tunnel or bell housing to make it fit. been a while since the last time i seen a thread about swapping one in. i would agree with HeyYou that the nv4500 might be your only option and at least you already got a 93. from what i have been told getting the right transfer case to do the swap can be a bit difficult since they only made them for the first gens for such a short time before completely changing them for the second gens.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:04 AM
elkvis
Amateur

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to pass on the NV5600 and look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: 93 W250 NV5600 Conversion