1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1993 dodge w150 brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 05:56 AM
weldjet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 dodge w150 brake problems

Hey there I am new to the forum and am having a hard time with my 1993 dodge w 150 truck 5.2 motor. when I got it it had the shakes when braking so I went through the whole brake system and replaced front rotors and calipers and pads and rear drums and shoes and spring kit. went for test drive and still had same problem. I took it to a shop so it could be put on a lift to see if something was loose??? they said new rotors were warped . This weekend I replaced rotors again with different brand and I still have same problem. Any advice or ideas of what to check would be much appreciated . thanks

Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

How does the rest of the suspension look? Any sloppy parts? Worn bushings? Things of that nature?

Any place around you have a brake lathe? When I was doing that kind of thing for a living, I would put even NEW rotors on the lathe, and spin 'em up...... may only take a couple thousandths to smooth them out.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 AM
weldjet

the shop I took it to said everything looked tight and seemed to be in good shape. If I don't hear of a better idea then yes I will pull them back off again and have the rotors turned maybe try to get them turned still attached to hub ?? I am at a total loss for ideas on this .original rotors, replacement rotors and second set of replacements still same problem . Seems I am missing something else somewhere ?

Old 05-14-2018, 09:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I don't know of many places that actually have an on-the-car brake lathe. It's an awesome idea, but, it seems it never really caught on.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:37 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

it is a 4x4 so i have a feeling he is hoping he can leave them on the hub to be turned. i don't think they can be left on the hub to be turned. as far as i know you got to pull them off to it right but then again might be able to have turn hub and all. might be best to ask a shop. i know on the 2wd trucks the hub is part of the rotor so might be possible. i just don't know how big the adapters go

Old 05-15-2018, 05:45 AM
weldjet

yes that is exactly what I was thinking turn the rotor and hub as one unit. It is a 4x4 and the rotor and hub are connected by the press fit of the wheel studs. I will look into that option. thanks

Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Noelie84
Rookie

Originally Posted by weldjet
Hey there I am new to the forum and am having a hard time with my 1993 dodge w 150 truck 5.2 motor. when I got it it had the shakes when braking so I went through the whole brake system and replaced front rotors and calipers and pads and rear drums and shoes and spring kit. went for test drive and still had same problem. I took it to a shop so it could be put on a lift to see if something was loose??? they said new rotors were warped . This weekend I replaced rotors again with different brand and I still have same problem. Any advice or ideas of what to check would be much appreciated . thanks
Out of curiosity, is the vibration in the brake pedal, the steering wheel, or does the whole truck shake?
I've seen steering wheel vibrations while braking before that were actually caused by sloppy tie rods, rather than by the brakes themselves. If you're getting vibration in just the wheel and not through the pedal, your problem may lie there. I know you said that you'd had a shop look at it, but it's possible they missed something in the front end if you'd told them it was only while you were braking.

Quick Reply: 1993 dodge w150 brake problems