1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust recirc. Pipe holes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:53 PM
LeonardHayes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust recirc. Pipe holes.

The exhaust gas pipe that runs along the intake manifold on the driver side is failing. Can this be patched? Or is anyone aware of a part number and maybe a diy thread for replacing?

Old 07-21-2018, 05:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

If you are referring to the exhaust manifold, those can’t be patched. Replace with some headers. Don’t know if you can still buy replacement exhaust manifolds. May want to check with your local parts store.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:56 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you don't live in smog **** country i would say remove the pipes/pump and plug the holes. you could probably braze them or have them professionally welded but i have never really seen them fail. i am almost certain they were stainless steel.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:32 PM
LeonardHayes

On inspection, the pipe wall failed. If its so thin there, I'm not sure theres enough for welding.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Yeah, welding probably isn't going to be an option, likely just burn holes thru it.

Do you have inspections/smog testing where you are?

Old 07-21-2018, 09:13 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

you could maybe just tape it up to pass inspection if need. i could be wrong but now that i think about it i am almost certain it is only used to pump air into the exhaust to make the exhaust burn cleaner. could maybe even toss some split loom on it as long as it is not the one by the exhaust that is leaking.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:07 PM
LeonardHayes
Default Header reccomendations

I fought the exhaust recirc lines for hours today. Im transferring my registration to a non emissioned address and going with headers and duals. I cant even clean the engine with all the vacuuum crap in there. Pulled the air pump and going back completely old school so I can work on this engine with what I know. So exasperating! I want a trouble free set of headers and am asking for reccomendations for an 85 w150. Seems kinda tigjt on the sides.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

you don't have to go with headers. you can just plug the wholes in the manifolds and it should make things all fine. do they actually test the emissions of the truck or is it just a visual? it might still likely pass without all the stuff just because the pump really doesn't do much. the only thing they might look for is the egr valve and cat.

Quick Reply: Exhaust recirc. Pipe holes.