1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1973 D100 Crew Cab Cherry Truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 PM
otter2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1973 D100 Crew Cab Cherry Truck

Just got this truck, 17,000 original miles. Beginning to do things to get it on the road for the occasional drive around. I live in a rural community in the great state of Tennessee and the truck is recognized by many in the community so here it is going to stay. The tank was fouled pretty badly by old fuel that sat, condensed, and ended up turning into sediment in the tank. On closer inspection I found that the tank seems to be plastic and runs lengthwise in the chassis. My first assumption is that the tank has been replaced, but I know all about assumptions. Anyone hear of plastic tanks in these old trucks?

Otter2

Old 09-02-2018, 07:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Welcome to DF! If it's plastic, that means it won't rust out. Clean it out good, along with all the lines. If it's carbed, gonna have to rebuild that too.

How long did it sit?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:13 PM
otter2
Default 1973 Club Cab

1973 club cab
Sat probably 13 years with a full tank. The fuel lines were messed up all the way to the fuel pump. Already soaking the carb for a rebuild. Rubber hose between tank and filler came apart in my hands. By the way, regular gas still burns when you lay in it. The body is straight all the way around and the interior is original with an intact dash. Looking forward to getting it on the road. Got it at an estate sale for a great price. Nothing like working on the old engines.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 PM
otter2

I believe it has been sitting for about 13 years with a full tank till the gas evaporated out and left scum in the tank. Got the carb soaking for a rebuild right now.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That is in REALLY good shape. Should be fun to put it back on the road.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:22 AM
otter2

Already having fun with it. Do you thank it came stock with the plastic tank. I haven't been able to find anything online to clarify it.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

No idea on that..... even if it's aftermarket, I would expect that stock dodge parts will still fit. (should you need any....)

Old 09-03-2018, 12:20 PM
otter2

Did a little more research and found a thread on another forum where a guy with another club cab has an original plastic tank. Who woulda thunk it? Actually, I ordered a stock tank from a junk yard out west and it appears to be made of the same material. Now that I may not need it, I will probably keep it to sell or trade. They are exceedingly hard to come by.

You been moderating this forum since 2010? If so you are probably a wealth of knowledge, My dad had an old 66 Swiftline that he had to put a bed on. It wasn't that old at the time, 1971. Dad found an old beatup bed and pounded the dents out of it, He was a hell of a mechanic and body guy and he had me under cars busting nuts by the time I was 9. Trucks are more fun to work on when you have the time to do it as a hobby.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I like working on the trucks better, simply because there is more room. (as I look at the distinct LACK of space around my V-10.....) I've been here since 2010, when I bought my 96 Ram. The learning curve was pretty steep. Did a LOT of reading. I don't remember when they promoted me to Mod..... (yeah, it's been a while.....) I am much more familiar with the second gen stuff, simply due to exposure. The first gen stuff is pretty standard, I get lost on when fuel systems changed, and such, but, learning that too. I read a lot on the forums for the newer stuff, and am learning that as well. But, I am simply not a fan of the drive-by-wire systems, and computerized EVERYTHING, including turn signals, and brake lights..... Seriously, what's the point? I don't need (nor want....) a thousand dollar computer to run my external lights. It just doesn't need to be that complicated.

Ah well. That's what warranties are for, I guess.

Been doing the wrench turning thing since I was about 14. Learned on my dad's vehicles as well, and even more when I started driving, and had to maintain my own vehicles. Couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it. Made some mistakes along the way, but, I'm still here.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:09 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

welcome and nice looking truck. i think dodge were 1 of the first brands to swap to plastic tanks. i still thing they ran steel tanks in the cab for a few years after they started using plastic but the plastic tanks were pretty much the end of the steel tanks. if the sending unit in your tanks are gummed up you might want to replace them
http://www.521restorations.com/index.../Van&sub1=Fuel

Quick Reply: 1973 D100 Crew Cab Cherry Truck