1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

73 dodge 4x4 brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Cindij
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 dodge 4x4 brake issues

My 73 Adventurer 4x4 has had a brake issue since I've owned it but a couple pumps on the brake and it would pump up. Well a friend of mine wanted to see if it was the booster or the master that was bad, so he told me to watch the brake master (with reservoir cap off) to see if both reservoirs showed signs of fluid moving. Yes fluid shot straight up both sides. Now zero brakes. Tried bleeding 3 times still zero pedal so now I guess I'm ordering a new booster with master. I guess my question is why did it have brakes before testing and now zip zero nada? Also will a 73 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive booster work on my 73?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Likely it sucked some air. Can you pump up the brakes? (engine off)

Pedal height is determined by the rear brake adjustment. If you have to step on it twice to get brakes, first thing to do is make sure the rears are adjusted properly.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Cindij

I did brake bleed with engine off but I haven't checked the shoe adjustment yet. The truck was given to me by a friend that passed earlier this year. I'm learning the history of this truck little by little but I've been replacing and fixing well needed parts. With winter well on its way I need the 4x4 definitely lol I live off grid. I own 5 older dodge trucks from 73 to 78 so I'm pretty familiar with them but some things these trucks do sometimes is a real head scratcher ������

Old 11-26-2018, 12:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cindij
I did brake bleed with engine off but I haven't checked the shoe adjustment yet. The truck was given to me by a friend that passed earlier this year. I'm learning the history of this truck little by little but I've been replacing and fixing well needed parts. With winter well on its way I need the 4x4 definitely lol I live off grid. I own 5 older dodge trucks from 73 to 78 so I'm pretty familiar with them but some things these trucks do sometimes is a real head scratcher ������
It's not just the trucks.

Sometimes, getting all the air out can be a right pain in the keester. Do you have another warm body to help? That makes life easier.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Cindij

I've had 2 warm bodies at different times lol and tried bleeding bleeding bleeding but not even a little bit of peddle I've never had a booster go bad before so I don't know if it's a all of a sudden no worky or if its a progression.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think I have replaced one bad booster in the last 40 some odd years....... And I used to do this kind of thing for a living.

Will the brakes pump up, at all? Engine off?

Old 11-26-2018, 01:32 PM
Cindij

Nope the brakes won't pump up with the engine off or running. I did a booster in a celica years back but with the old dodge truck boosters it's usually been a vaccum leak to the booster and it seems since the pedal goes to the floor and won't pump up it has had almost no results with getting much fluid to bleed soo I was thinking of trying a hand pump to try to get some real fluid to run so I Know the aur is getting pushed through. What do ya think? A possibility?

Old 11-26-2018, 01:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try bleeding the master cylinder itself first. See what ya get.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Cindij

Ok will do thanx

Old 01-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Cindij

Ok so this is what I ended up doing with my brake booster/master issue. I also have a 78 power wagon that is in poor shape I use for parts if necessary. I took the booster and master off of the power wagon and put it in the 73 adventurer and Tadaaaa it actually worked ��. I pulled the old brake master off the 73 and the booster was pooled with brake fluid so I decided I needed both booster and master. If there is a forseeable problem with this please let me know. Thanx so much for the imput✌️

Last edited by Cindij; 01-07-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: wrong part description

Quick Reply: 73 dodge 4x4 brake issues