1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wants to be happy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Frustrated dave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wants to be happy!

First time post. Hello! I am frustrated Dave but would like to be happy Dave I have a 1986 Dodge 150 with the 318 5.2. I have two issues that are driving me up the wall. 1 is my upper radiator hose is hot my lower radiator hose is not, and my cab heater is blowing hot. Could it be something as simple as a thermostat? Second question I cannot get my truck to start easily especially when cold. I've replaced the fuel pump the associated lines and fuel filter. I have to squirt starter fluid into the carburetor. When I look down the carburetor throat and pull the throttle open I don't see fuel squirting in. I could use some help this is my getting firewood truck I need it running

Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Cooling system is normal. Upper hose routes hot coolant to the radiator, lower hose routes cool coolant back to the motor. If the engine isn't overheating, and your heater keeps you toasty warm, it's all good.

If you aren't getting gas squirting when you open the throttle, time to rebuild the carb. Sounds like the bladder for the accelerator pump has a hole in it, therefore, no pump shot, and hard starting when cold.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:53 PM
Frustrated dave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks hey you. Temp gauge not functioning. Steam was coming from around radiator cap and smoke from oil fill. I quickly shut the beast off. Will rebuild carb

Old 03-16-2019, 07:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Replace the radiator cap, and make sure it seals properly. Fix the temp gauge.

Quick Reply: Wants to be happy!