1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Problem 93 W150 - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Brown Bag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Problem 93 W150 - Need Advice

I searched through multiple threads here and some touched on the problem I'm having.

Before I did everything listed below (and more) the steering was excellent. Now it has some minor to medium drift and sway. I bought this truck new and needed to address 25 years of neglect so:
Replaced all four leaf springs, increased lift 2 inches. New Shocks-but maybe I got the wrong shocks? for the lift. New drive shaft U-joints front and back. New Timken wheel bearings. New ball joints, tie-rod ends, 2" drop pittman, new Redhead steering box, new sway bar bushings (frame and axle) and new drag link. A friend questioned why I installed the 2" pittman drop.

Just recently had a four wheel alignment done and the tech said he adjusted the ball joint nuts to proper torque, aligned the tires with minor adjustment then test drove it. He said he then checked the steering shaft and had help from another tech to check the steering-links-tie-rods etc. Tech suggested a steering stabilizer.

The tires are new and just one inch taller than stock. Tires are cheap Roadians with street tread. I'm not opposed to replacing the column with Borgeson or trying to adjust the steering gear. I'd rather not add (imo) some ugly steering spring/stabilizer like Rough Country or Skyjacker. After a little research I began wondering if the additional bar non-spring type stabilizer would help. It did steer a little better after the alignment and adjustment.

Could too short of shocks cause this steering problem? Nothing fancy about the new shocks I bought, just KYB's.
Any recommendations on type of steering stabilizers for a 1993?

Truck has 4 wheel drive, manual trans and Dana 44 front axle. 96k miles.

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

It's 2 inches taller...... That's not gonna help. Cheap tires probably aren't helping you either....

Old 06-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Brown Bag

Acknowledge. Not like it's all jacked up. Maybe cheap wasn't the best tire description, for as much as I drive it I did not need Michelins or other name brand. They were close to 200 each mounted and balanced. Previously had Firestone Destination that were wobbly aggressive treads.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:02 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you probably need a borgeson steering shaft. hopefully they didn't charge you full price for that 4 wheel alignment because the only thing adjustable is the toe unless you got special camber/caster bushing for the upper ball joints and eve then usually if you need them there is a good chance your axle is bent. you don't need steering stabilizers if the front end is new and tight. the issue is likely in the stock steering coupler which is junk. you can try shimming it but a borgeson steering should solver the issue. you can usually see the slop in the stock steering coupler. turn the steering shaft and see how far it moves before the coupler housing moves.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Brown Bag

Just checked the steering shaft and that stock joint. There is about 1/8" of slop or slack there. Just placed an order for the new Borg. shaft and rag joint kit.

If greenhorn garage mechanic (me) can successfully switch it out I'll let you know if it helps by next weekend. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:25 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

it is easy to do especially if you replaced the steering box not that long ago. only special tool you need is a 12 point 3/8" socket but install is super easy.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:56 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Brown Bag
I searched through multiple threads here and some touched on the problem I'm having.

Before I did everything listed below (and more) the steering was excellent. Now it has some minor to medium drift and sway. I bought this truck new and needed to address 25 years of neglect so:
Replaced all four leaf springs, increased lift 2 inches. New Shocks-but maybe I got the wrong shocks? for the lift. New drive shaft U-joints front and back. New Timken wheel bearings. New ball joints, tie-rod ends, 2" drop pittman, new Redhead steering box, new sway bar bushings (frame and axle) and new drag link. A friend questioned why I installed the 2" pittman drop.

Just recently had a four wheel alignment done and the tech said he adjusted the ball joint nuts to proper torque, aligned the tires with minor adjustment then test drove it. He said he then checked the steering shaft and had help from another tech to check the steering-links-tie-rods etc. Tech suggested a steering stabilizer.

The tires are new and just one inch taller than stock. Tires are cheap Roadians with street tread. I'm not opposed to replacing the column with Borgeson or trying to adjust the steering gear. I'd rather not add (imo) some ugly steering spring/stabilizer like Rough Country or Skyjacker. After a little research I began wondering if the additional bar non-spring type stabilizer would help. It did steer a little better after the alignment and adjustment.

Any recommendations on type of steering stabilizers for a 1993?
Factory caster specs are borderline with all new, stock parts, and stock tires.

Bigger tires and different springs, you likely need more. Add a 3 degree shim see how that does. A longer shackle has a similar effect.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Brown Bag

Apologies for the delayed response, normal life got in the way.
Installed the Borgeson shaft (bought the Borg. rag joint repair kit, only part that was applicable was the disc). Easy to install, nice looking hardware!
And it helped----a little bit. Still some sway/drift but getting more responsive. Am determined to get the steering back to what it was before the leaf spring and suspension change. I'm thinking about putting the stock Pittman back on because the 2" lift just doesn't seem like it raised it much from stock. And when I installed the new drag link it just looked a lot lower than the old drag link with stock Pittman. A steering stabilizer may be the way to go. Not ruling out the upper portion of the tilt column either.

Hey You.....I'm not ruling out the tires.
I do wonder if I torqued-jacked the axles all around replacing the leafs contributes to the problem? Seems if I did it would just be out of line. But I replaced them one at a time. I'll do some measuring to verify.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Brown Bag

u2 slow
Dang....you got me researching and learning. Caster & chamber. Thanks!
This weekend I hope to have time to continue finding the solution.

Last edited by Brown Bag; 06-12-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i don't know if you would need a aftermarket pitman arm for 2" lift. did you get an adjustable drag link?

Quick Reply: Steering Problem 93 W150 - Need Advice