1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1991 d250 cranking / no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 04:13 PM
bigboblargerobert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 d250 cranking / no start

I thought I had this fixed last year. I had the same problem, would crank, but no spark. I replaced the hall effect p/u in the distributer, and it worked fine, the trucks my firewood hauler and driven infrequently. So now its this year and it's firewood season. What makes this additionally a pita is its an intermittent problem. I can jump positive to the coil and make it run, but its probably not a good solution. So, last couple of days I've prepared to troubleshoot, and the sucker runs without stalling, for like hours, go figure. Hard to fix what ain't broke. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would be troubleshooting the asd relay. sounds like you might have had fusible link since it will run if you power the coil.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:46 PM
bigboblargerobert

in the sticky for this forum is a link for troubleshooting the ASD relay, which doesn’t work. Is there another link?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:40 PM
bigboblargerobert

Since I last posted I have replaced the alternator, was only charging at about 12.5 volts. Had hope low voltage was the problem. As it turns out, I don't think so. I've been starting and letting it run hoping it would stall, and I could troubleshoot. Which it has, however, it restarts again before I can do any meaningful troubleshooting. I had previously thought jumping +12v to coil would restart. That was incorrect, I believe it was just "ready" to restart when I had done that. Today I thought I would check for codes since the alternator was changed and the battery was disconnected. Did the key dance, no CEL? I tried several more times, with same result. Tried starting, cranks no spark, and no CEL when the ignition is first turned on. I can hear the ASD relay coming on briefly when the ignition is turned on. Could this be a problem supplying power to the PCM, bad connection, or pitted contacts in the ASD relay, or?

Old 07-08-2019, 04:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

PCM controls the ASD relay, so, it's getting power, and attempting to do what it should..... does the fuel pump re-engage when you actually crank the engine?

Old 07-08-2019, 04:51 PM
bigboblargerobert

I had eliminated fuel pump earlier by using starting fluid. But if the fuel pump doesn't run there is no pressure at the injectors, and then there is no spark. Correct? I'll follow this up tomorrow.

Last edited by bigboblargerobert; 07-08-2019 at 05:48 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 07-08-2019, 05:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Should be throttle body injection?

Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 PM
bigboblargerobert

I just corrected previous post, Don't know what I was thinking

Old 07-08-2019, 05:54 PM
bigboblargerobert

The injector(s) in the TBI input back to the PCM that the fuel pump has ran, and there is pressure, correct?

Old 07-09-2019, 02:52 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you check the asd relay to make sure it is getting power to power the coil/charging system and injectors? sounds like a fusible link that feeds the asd relay may have gone bad which is why you hear the relay click but won't start unless you power the coil which is what the asd relay does

Quick Reply: 1991 d250 cranking / no start