1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best Brand for suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 05:21 AM
Deep Six
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Brand for suspension parts

I Have to replace the control arm bushes on my truck.
At the same time I figured I would replace the upper an lower ball joints, possibly drag link, idler arm and tie rod ends.

But upon opening up the rock auto catalogue I am faced with many options to choose from. They list economy, daily driver and premium.

I always like to save a dollar where possible but don't want something that is going to fail in a short while. In saying that the truck will be on historic plates and doing very little mileage each year.
Any idea which brand and bracket I should go for

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...m+bushing,7532

And ball joints
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ll+joint,10070

And Tie Rod Ends

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...e+rod+end,7428

Last edited by Deep Six; 07-10-2019 at 05:22 AM. Reason: add extra
Old 07-10-2019, 07:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Spend the money, and go for the premium parts. Deal with it once, and likely never have to deal with it again.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:10 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's going to be sitting, greasable parts would be a good thing.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:55 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Spend the money, and go for the premium parts. Deal with it once, and likely never have to deal with it again.
I'm the opposite - these days its usually the same crap sold by all the brands. I'll save the $$$.

That said, I like Moog Quicksteer for balljoints and TREs. They are fullsize parts with grease fittings. Some of the other jobber brands are undersized joints.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

another vote for moog but sometimes i will compromise depending on if i can get it all shipped to me from 1 location or not. for the most part

Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Deep Six
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, thats the thing, how do you know what you are getting since most parts are made in china. I do have quite a few parts in my shopping cart and a lot of them are Moog so think I am on the right track

Old 07-10-2019, 07:12 PM
cpuhog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choice for Bushings

I’d go Moog, I think they are a better choice than the rest, though I’ve had good results with TRW parts in all my various vehicles as well.

I’d suggest Energy Suspension bushings for the control arm bushings if available. Black since I don’t think the red have graphite in them. Same for your sway bar bushings and end links.

I put all that in my 2nd gen 2500 along with new rubber bushings for the rear sway bar, that big beast now drives winding roads like a rock steady sports car.

Rubber for the rear sway bar (if you have one) instead of urethane, make it too stiff your vehicle will be much more inclined to break the rear loose and swap ends in a panic braking or quick swerve/lane change situation.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:06 AM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

FWIW, I'm not a Moog fan. I've just noticed their Quicksteer line competes with the bargain-basement brands, and you still get a fairly decent part.

Quick Reply: Best Brand for suspension parts