1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible Upgrade on Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 10:19 AM
bigbombcharter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Upgrade on Carburetor

I have an 85 D100 with a 5.2L. I am looking into going with a 4 barrel carburetor because the stock carb seems so restrictive. Has anyone encountered any problems with going to a 4 barrel intake? Also any recommendations on Carb's would be welcome. It is stock right now but a cam and exhaust will be in the near future. It will be a mild cam though nothing crazy just trying to make a fun, dependable little daily out of this truck. Also anyone interested in selling an intake I am willing to talk.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:25 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Well I am going to say more then you are asking.... But in short, I would stay small, (600 cfm holley or edelbrock)
For a intake, I would use this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Chrys...UAAOSwsB9eOND9

The reason for this intake is, it would allow you to use it now, on your 85 318 and latter if you switched to a magnum engine, it will bolt on and not require a different intake.

But IMO the first place to start, get rid of the ignition system you have and swap to something like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-Mopar-Electronic-Ignition-Distributor-Kit-Dodge-Chrysler-273-318-340-360/333163753591?epid=2172569316&hash=item4d921b7077:g jsAAOSwk2pcufwO:sc:USPSPriority!20110!US!-1

The factory lean burn is holding you back.
Also, IMO finding a good used 5.2 or better 5.9 magnum, converting to carb and different ignition, is one of the cheapest and best performance upgrades......

Old 03-21-2020, 12:52 PM
bigbombcharter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info! I will definitely go ahead and grab the ignition system. The truck is actually in the shop at the moment getting the carburetor rebuilt, it died on me the other day and my apartment frowns on me working on my truck in the parking lot. I’ll be moving this summer so I’m going to start stockpiling parts until I get a garage again.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

do you know what ignition system is on the truck? if you got a 4 pin ignition system already you don't need the system that is linked to. you only need that system if you have lean burn ignition but you could piece together your own system cheaper else ware. if you are on a budget it will likely be cheaper to swap on a factorty 360 4bbl intake since you can usually find them cheap-free.

Quick Reply: Possible Upgrade on Carburetor