1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2wd to 4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 11:35 PM
Dustinyourshelf
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd to 4x4 conversion

So after I have done all the work to my 1988 Dodge Ram D100 to make it look 4x4 I have decided that I want to go ahead and convert it over to 4x4. I have never done anything like this and I can’t find much information on it I would like to have like a list of things I will need because I honestly don’t know other than a front axle and a 4x4 tranny. If anyone has done this before or know how to do this please let me know how. Thank you

Old 06-15-2020, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

Solid axle suspension. Easiest way would be to find yourself a 4x4 parts donor. Then you would be sure to have everything you need.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:07 AM
Kahless
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated, the easiest way is to get a donor frame or front frame section with axle. You'll need to remove all the 2wd brackets from your frame. There are a few holes that match up on both frames for mounting the leaf spring hangers from the 4x4 frame. Start with what you can bolt up and drill out the rest of the holes. You'll end up needing the engine crossmember, the front support crossmember, both leaf spring hangers, shock mounts, and the power steering box offset bracket. You'll also need the 4x4 intermediate steering shaft, but if you're doing all this work the better option is to upgrade to Borgeson steering shaft. Search "Borgeson 000940 Steering Shaft Assembly" on google for the part. This replaces the joint at the steering box and is much better then factory.

I've done a few of these swaps, let me know if you have any questions.

The following users liked this post:
Dustinyourshelf (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 08:12 AM
Dustinyourshelf
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahless
As stated, the easiest way is to get a donor frame or front frame section with axle. You'll need to remove all the 2wd brackets from your frame. There are a few holes that match up on both frames for mounting the leaf spring hangers from the 4x4 frame. Start with what you can bolt up and drill out the rest of the holes. You'll end up needing the engine crossmember, the front support crossmember, both leaf spring hangers, shock mounts, and the power steering box offset bracket. You'll also need the 4x4 intermediate steering shaft, but if you're doing all this work the better option is to upgrade to Borgeson steering shaft. Search "Borgeson 000940 Steering Shaft Assembly" on google for the part. This replaces the joint at the steering box and is much better then factory.

I've done a few of these swaps, let me know if you have any questions.
thank you so much man I have actually already upgraded to the borgeson steering shaft so that’s 1 thing marked off my list

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4x4 conversion