1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering pump replacement difficulty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 02:55 PM
d19jordan57
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump replacement difficulty?

Hello. I've been told by the local Dodge dealership that part of the leakage problem on my 1992 Dodge diesel 1st gen 3/4 4WD pickup is that the power steering pump is leaking and needs replacing. I'm wondering if that's a task a weekend mechanic like me can handle. I've viewed the one youtube video I find on the subject and it doesn't appear too difficult. It looks like I would have to buy a handheld vacuum device to bleed the power steering after the pump and fluid have been replaced. Anyway:
  1. Does the level of difficulty to replace this pump seem within the means of a weekend mechanic?
  2. Should I consider just replacing the seals or the whole pump - I suspect the pump is also from '92? AutoZone thought it should be the pump, but maybe they would say that.
  3. I'm figuring this could be a five hour job. Sound about right?
Thanks.
Dan

Old 08-14-2020, 05:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Changing the pump isn't too bad, I have had zero success with trying to re-seal them. If you are going to take it off anyway, just replace it.

You will also need the tool to remove/install the power steering pump pulley. Your local auto parts store should be able to 'rent' it to you.

I've never used a vacuum pump on a power steering system..... but then, I haven't dealt much with hydroboost either..... Not sure if that is really necessary or not.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:23 PM
d19jordan57
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the bit about bleeding with a vacuum tool was from another video that wasn't 1st Gen Dodge-specific. Maybe I'll try it without that vacuum tool.
(
)

Old 08-14-2020, 09:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

can you identify what on the pump is leaking? most time it is the reservoir and not the pump itself leaking. you can yank it off and possibly patch it up with heat if your good at brazing but sometime it is just the reservoir is bent allowing fluid to leak.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump replacement difficulty?