1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

93 W250 Hood Latch Cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 02:17 PM
elkvis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 W250 Hood Latch Cable

My hood latch cable broke, and I can't open my hood. Anyone got any good, non-destructive suggestions to open it. I can't see the cable or any part of the mechanism with the hood closed.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Can you get ahold of the end of the cable in the passenger compartment? Grab it with some vice grips, and give it a yank?

Old 12-07-2020, 07:13 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by elkvis
My hood latch cable broke, and I can't open my hood. Anyone got any good, non-destructive suggestions to open it. I can't see the cable or any part of the mechanism with the hood closed.

I've gotten into the first gen rams with a long (2 foot or longer) screwdriver. It's not easy, it's designed to keep people out. Look through the grill to where the cable goes in on the drivers side. You want to pry the latch where the cable attaches to the right as you face it. It will probably take you a while to pop it. Have some mechanics wire handy when you go to open it. Once you get it open, wire the mechanics wire to the latch and make a loop with a piece of hose to pull on so you can open it until you get another cable.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:17 PM
elkvis
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Can you get ahold of the end of the cable in the passenger compartment? Grab it with some vice grips, and give it a yank?
It's broke at the latch end, unfortunately.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:21 PM
elkvis
Amateur

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've gotten into the first gen rams with a long (2 foot or longer) screwdriver. It's not easy, it's designed to keep people out. Look through the grill to where the cable goes in on the drivers side. You want to pry the latch where the cable attaches to the right as you face it. It will probably take you a while to pop it. Have some mechanics wire handy when you go to open it. Once you get it open, wire the mechanics wire to the latch and make a loop with a piece of hose to pull on so you can open it until you get another cable.
The cable isn't visible at all through the grille. The front of the latch completely blocks my view of the mechanism. From what angle would you suggest I attack it? A frontal assault appears to be a non-starter.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try looking up from underneath... have a good flashlight in hand.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:26 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by elkvis
The cable isn't visible at all through the grille. The front of the latch completely blocks my view of the mechanism. From what angle would you suggest I attack it? A frontal assault appears to be a non-starter.

It's been years since I've forced one. Look around for the black cable sheath for the latch. You'll be sort of looking up at an angle from the drivers side.There is a tab the cable attaches to. This tab moves sideways when the cable pulls it. You'll pry on the tab to move it. You'll know when you succeed as the hood will pop up. It's designed to be difficult to open so don't get in a hurry. Once you get it done though, it won't seem that bad. It's just a matter of persistence.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:45 AM
elkvis
Amateur

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
It's been years since I've forced one. Look around for the black cable sheath for the latch. You'll be sort of looking up at an angle from the drivers side.There is a tab the cable attaches to. This tab moves sideways when the cable pulls it. You'll pry on the tab to move it. You'll know when you succeed as the hood will pop up. It's designed to be difficult to open so don't get in a hurry. Once you get it done though, it won't seem that bad. It's just a matter of persistence.
Right, I understand how the whole thing works. It's just that none of the critical components seem to be visible or otherwise accessible from any angle that I can see. I was hoping that someone here would know a trick or two, specifically for these trucks, to help avoid cutting things.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Can you remove the grille with the hood closed?

Old 12-08-2020, 08:51 AM
elkvis
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Can you remove the grille with the hood closed?
Almost. There's a couple of screws that go in from the top, which are covered by the hood. This is the route I'm most seriously considering. I can get a new grille or glue mine back together if I break it. Far more desirable than destroying my hood or any other metal parts.

Quick Reply: 93 W250 Hood Latch Cable