1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Choke Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 01:57 PM
dclevela
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Choke Voltage

Hey everyone,
I found this diagram for the electric choke on my 83 W150. Right now the choke does not set when I press the throttle so I wanted to dig a little deeper and perhaps you guys can teach me a thing or two.
As mentioned, pressing the throttle once when cold does NOT se the choke.

1. I wanted to check voltage to the divorced choke when the key was on. It was 0.8 volts. The wiring schematic doesn't tell me what the voltage is supposed to be though so I don't know if that's enough, I suspect not. What should it be?
2. What causes the choke to close when the throttle is pressed? Holley 2280. Cold engine.

My goal is to just get the choke system working correctly again.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Should be 12 volts.

Choke is set by a thermal spring. (I think) Should be a procedure for setting it on a cold engine.

The following users liked this post:
dclevela (04-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 06:02 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

Your choke(thermal spring coil) may be broke. If that's the case it will not move to set the choke. On a cold engine the choke should set regardless if it has power or not. The power is only to heat up the spring(opening up the choke ) after the engine has time to warm up.

Quick Reply: Electric Choke Voltage