1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake pedal with long travel and slow return

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 10:05 PM
TalkinAboutTheDude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal with long travel and slow return

Almost too much information on interweb about this type of problem for me to sort out... I have a 1990 D250 first gen diesel. I've been chasing various braking problems for the last 5,000 miles. Here is what has been done so far:
  • front brakes resurfaced, new pads and new brake lines.
  • rear brake cylinders checked and shoes adjusted.
  • master cylinder replaced.
  • brake booster replaced.
Currently, the truck can stop... The complaint I have is that the pedal travels further than ever before to start braking, and the pedal is slow to return to its topped out position. That is annoying and causes me to ride the brake, but I think it may cause worse problems when towing. I believe the trailer brake controller needs the pedal to be operating in it's normal range of motion to communicate proper braking to the trailer. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping you wizards will help this noob get things sorted!
I don't have the Factory Service Manual, so if anyone could tell me the proper order I should follow to troubleshoot, I would be much obliged! I thank yee in advance!

Gratefully, Nate

Old 06-09-2021, 06:28 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

May be an issue with the hydo boost. Not sure about the hydo boost models but is there an adjustment for the master cylinder shaft? And if so was it adjusted?

Old 06-09-2021, 12:46 PM
TalkinAboutTheDude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moparite, Thanks for the response to my thread! Could you describe the hydro-boost to me so I can verify if my truck is equipped with that feature?

Old 06-09-2021, 01:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by TalkinAboutTheDude
Moparite, Thanks for the response to my thread! Could you describe the hydro-boost to me so I can verify if my truck is equipped with that feature?
Power assist for the brakes are driven by the power steering pump, (hydraulic) instead of having a vacuum booster.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal with long travel and slow return