1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PA for me to supplant my leaf springs for towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 09:34 AM
Cookip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA for me to supplant my leaf springs for towing capacity

The opportunity has arrived here in the incredible rust belt of northeastern PA for me to supplant my leaf springs. Oh, 18 years of beating on our delightfully looked after streets (weighty mockery) have killed the bushings and broken an eyelet. Like any red blooded American I have procrastinated this however long I could, yet the u bolts are getting frightening slight from consumption and it is basically impossible that any of this equipment is falling off without the proven oxy acetylene liquification technique.

I have a couple of stock leaf packs (3" wide springs) and shackles in transit by means of Rockauto and 6 sparkly 5" 5/8 evaluation 8 bolts (6 point for the love of benevolence! Not a torx head!). I've been searching for u bolts for my application (which is stock all wheel drive stature for a 2500, I'm accepting) however it appears they're typically a custom request. I'd prefer to supplant the stock plates too, they look pretty dry. They may tidy up, however it appears to be all the awful poo likes to gather in the soup bowls where the bolts go through. Enter the u bolt flip thought.

I'm searching for a total pack with the u fasteners, nuts, washers, and plate. The u bolts will fold over the lower part of the pivot straightforwardly, and the plate will sit on the leaf pack, Sammiching it all together to be able to up the payload capacity.

The lone site I've found with a fitting pack is Dodgeoffroad .com. nonetheless, I've perused some helpless audits about their administration before. Has anybody bought from them as of late? What was your experience? Are there some other sensibly valued choices out there? Much appreciated

My truck is a 01 slam 2500 all wheel drive. The stock u bolts have all the earmarks of being around 14" tall, 3-1/8" wide, m14's possibly?

Old 06-16-2021, 02:08 PM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I get ubolts/plates locally usually (spring shop) or rockauto. Anything else is too costly after freight. Main thing is 3.5" tubes on the dana 70 and 4" on the dana 80. 5/8" would be a good choice for strength.

In America freight might be better. Have you checked Ruffstuff? Offroad Design? Barnes4wd? Jungle over at Ramchargercentral?

3500 cab & chassis leafs are the stoutest stock offering.

​​​​
​​​​

Quick Reply: PA for me to supplant my leaf springs for towing capacity