1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermoquad Choke Operation 1983 W250?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 01:23 PM
James Jamie Soule
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thermoquad Choke Operation 1983 W250?

My choke setup is such that on a cold morning, I tap the accelerator and crank, and engine fires immediately but holds a very high too high) idle until warm which at that point, I can tap accelerator and it will kick down into low idle. It seems to me that this very high idle is tough on on a cold engine and it can hold this idle for quite a few minutes until warm enough to allow kickdown to base normal idle speed. Anyone know how to correct this? Shouldn't I be able to tap it again after engine fires to drop idlle down again enough to hold cold idle without engine roaring at high idle? Who knows how this choke is supposed to work and is there a way to adjust the duration of choke engagement so I can kick it down sooner -does electric choke adjust?- engine is '83 318LA engine with Thermoquard 4 barrel -thanks!

Last edited by James Jamie Soule; 12-09-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

High idle is adjustable. But yeah, once it's running, you should be able to kick it down a bit more.

The following users liked this post:
James Jamie Soule (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 04:56 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

how high is it idling? idling high while warming up is normal till the choke is fully open. does it have a full electric choke? a electric choke could be adjusted to shut off sooner but if it is a thermostat choke you are pretty much at the mercy of the engine temp to shut it off or install a manual choke cable. you can also lower the fast idle speed but you do usually want it about 1500rpm till warm.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:46 PM
James Jamie Soule
Professional

Great info thanks, so start up per normal (cold) and bring high idle down via screw in pic? Thats it? Great! I hope this works!

Old 12-12-2021, 06:15 PM
James Jamie Soule
Professional

Thanks, started it up cold and just turned the high idle down, now I don't have to cringe when it starts up and idles too high -thanks!

Old 12-13-2021, 01:58 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sometimes that is all it take. just have to do a bit of research to figure out how to tune a carb. a lot of the time most adjustments are simple. if it had an electric choke it would make it even easier to set how long the choke needs to be on. i use to have the choke on my holley set perfect for summer so it would shut off quick but was always bad for winter if you gave it gas too soon it would usually stall and be a pain to keep running after that.

Quick Reply: Thermoquad Choke Operation 1983 W250?