1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1978 D150 Stalling issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 02:25 PM
Joel142
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1978 D150 Stalling issue.

Hello,
I have a 1978 D150 with a stock 318. It is my yard truck I use to plow my driveway and living in Vermont I really need this truck running. Ok so here’s what’s going on. The truck starts right up, and I start plowing then after 10 -15 minutes it will stall here and there, but the more I drive the worse the stalling gets, to the point I can’t go more then 10 feet without it stalling, but it always starts right back up. And the truck in not overheating.
Work I have done, at the end of last year I replaced the carb with one from Summit Racing and did a complete tune up. This year I replaced the timing chain, water pump, fuel filter and the ballast resistor. I didn’t replace the fuel pump because at the end of last year it seemed to be pumping plenty on gas to the carb.
I could really use some input and would appreciate any help.
Thank You.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:27 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel142
Hello,
I have a 1978 D150 with a stock 318. It is my yard truck I use to plow my driveway and living in Vermont I really need this truck running. Ok so here’s what’s going on. The truck starts right up, and I start plowing then after 10 -15 minutes it will stall here and there, but the more I drive the worse the stalling gets, to the point I can’t go more then 10 feet without it stalling, but it always starts right back up. And the truck in not overheating.
Work I have done, at the end of last year I replaced the carb with one from Summit Racing and did a complete tune up. This year I replaced the timing chain, water pump, fuel filter and the ballast resistor. I didn’t replace the fuel pump because at the end of last year it seemed to be pumping plenty on gas to the carb.
I could really use some input and would appreciate any help.
Thank You.

Your engine controller (the brain box) may be getting hot and failing. These used to be fairly easy to find at parts stores. It's just a plug and a couple of bolts. If you're still running the lean burn, I'd convert to regular electronic ignition.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 11-30-2021 at 08:28 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
Old 12-02-2021, 06:39 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

No engine controller on a 78 and it should have electronic ignition. Seems you covered everything, Is the fuel good? Are the terminals showing any signs of heat on the ballast? These trucks have a lot of issues with the electrical system check the bulkhead connector for ant burn wires/connections.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:54 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

What kind of choke is is running? Sounds to me like the choke is sticking on? I would guess its an electric choke but I have not worked on these enough to really know for sure, could be as simple as a broken or disconnected wire.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:32 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Moparite
No engine controller on a 78 and it should have electronic ignition. Seems you covered everything, Is the fuel good? Are the terminals showing any signs of heat on the ballast? These trucks have a lot of issues with the electrical system check the bulkhead connector for ant burn wires/connections.

In 1978, I've seen both regular and lean burn ignition systems. The engine controller on electronic ignition is the brain box. I've replaced several that would fail when they get hot.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:25 PM
Joel142

I got to play with the truck a bit today and there is no so no engine controller. I have an electric choke that seems to be working fine.
I have replaced the ballast resistor, ignition control unit and the voltage regulator. I removed the fuel filter and cranked it over to get some fuel out of her and it looks and smells fine.
I don't know what to make of this, I get in the truck hit the gas twice and it fires right up and every time it stalls it fires right back up.
Tomorrow I going to have really go through the wiring very closely. I'll keep you up to date.
I just want to thank you all for your input and help I do appreciate it.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:59 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

does it smoke black when is stalls? thats a good indication of flooding out, needle/float sticking also comes to mind

Old 12-03-2021, 09:12 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Joel142
I got to play with the truck a bit today and there is no so no engine controller. I have an electric choke that seems to be working fine.
I have replaced the ballast resistor, ignition control unit and the voltage regulator. I removed the fuel filter and cranked it over to get some fuel out of her and it looks and smells fine.
I don't know what to make of this, I get in the truck hit the gas twice and it fires right up and every time it stalls it fires right back up.
Tomorrow I going to have really go through the wiring very closely. I'll keep you up to date.
I just want to thank you all for your input and help I do appreciate it.

The ignition controller/engine controller/ brain box are all the same thing. If the brain box is new, make sure it has a clean ground. I worked on a rust buggy once that the fender was so rotten, it wouldn't ground to the chassis. I ran a dedicated ground from the box body to the battery. The box MUST have a good ground.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:22 PM
Joel142

Hello,
Ok so I have to fix a typo, I meant to write I don't have an electric choke, it's a divorced choke. It doesn't blow any smoke at all when she stalls out. I'm going to remove the ignition control unit and make sure I have a good ground and run a dedicated ground to the battery.
Thanks guy.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:44 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

divorced choke
??? you mean mechanical choke.
I replaced the carb with one from Summit Racing and did a complete tune up.
What carb do you have? Is it a stock replacement 4bbl or what? Some pics of carb and distributor may help.

Quick Reply: 1978 D150 Stalling issue.