1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 swap help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 07:03 PM
Fitze628
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 swap help

Hello, so I’m doing a magnum 318 swap into my 91 d150. It has the v6 in it with the a535 transmission.
My first question, will the 318 bolt up to the a535 transmission?
second question, will my driveline still fit? Or do I need to get it re sized to the rig
Third question, will the v6 flywheel bolt on to the 318?
last question, what is the best way to tackle the old ecu removal? But I want to keep all the stock stuff working like heater, oil pressure, coolant, etc.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:12 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Are you going to run the Magnum computer setup? If so the v6 flywheel won't work because the flywheel has the marks that the crank sensor reads from, and a 91 engine won't have those, if it did it would only have 6 divots, where. 318 being a V8 needs 8 divots around the circumference of the flywheel. If carb'd then the v6 flywheel should work.
and the trans will be in the same place, so the driveshaft (I assume that's what you mean by "driveLINE") will be fine. As I remember even the pre Magnum v6 uses Magnum style mounts, should be fine the rear cross member is in the same place regardless of transmission.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:41 AM
Fitze628

Originally Posted by volaredon
Are you going to run the Magnum computer setup? If so the v6 flywheel won't work because the flywheel has the marks that the crank sensor reads from, and a 91 engine won't have those, if it did it would only have 6 divots, where. 318 being a V8 needs 8 divots around the circumference of the flywheel. If carb'd then the v6 flywheel should work.
and the trans will be in the same place, so the driveshaft (I assume that's what you mean by "driveLINE") will be fine. As I remember even the pre Magnum v6 uses Magnum style mounts, should be fine the rear cross member is in the same place regardless of transmission.
Yes I am doing a carburetor set up with an ignition box, and thx for all the info!

Old 01-01-2022, 11:00 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

what is the best way to tackle the old ecu removal? But I want to keep all the stock stuff working like heater, oil pressure, coolant, etc.
Regulate the alternator, vent the gas tank and operate the AC compressor (if equipped) I believe should be the only things you need to worry about . Oh and you will need a regulator for the fuel pressure. Just use a voltage regulator from a vehicle that had an external one, Get a gas cap with a vent you can run the ac direct without the pcm. Gauges should work as long as they have power from the ignition switch.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:47 PM
Fitze628

Originally Posted by Moparite
Regulate the alternator, vent the gas tank and operate the AC compressor (if equipped) I believe should be the only things you need to worry about . Oh and you will need a regulator for the fuel pressure. Just use a voltage regulator from a vehicle that had an external one, Get a gas cap with a vent you can run the ac direct without the pcm. Gauges should work as long as they have power from the ignition switch.
alright, thx for the info!

Quick Reply: 318 swap help