1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

81-93 Hood on a '78

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 10:20 PM
LoganE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81-93 Hood on a '78

Hey guys, I got a 1978 W150 which is in need of a hood. The old birdbath style has heavy pitting, and has lost all of its paint. Was wondering if the newer style hood would work. I've seen people put birdbaths on newer trucks, but not the other way around. Is this a major job to try and do? Or will the hood fit with some work?

Old 01-07-2022, 03:00 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganE
Hey guys, I got a 1978 W150 which is in need of a hood. The old birdbath style has heavy pitting, and has lost all of its paint. Was wondering if the newer style hood would work. I've seen people put birdbaths on newer trucks, but not the other way around. Is this a major job to try and do? Or will the hood fit with some work?

It may bolt on but the later hood turns down on the front and the older one is flatter. The grill will be in the way on he newer hood. Now, there may be a way to make it work, but I'm not a body man and haven't had either style for a few years.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:38 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Will work if you have the latch for the hood you want to use and the cowl panel for the hood you want to use.
I'm wanting t put a bird bath hood onto my 85

Quick Reply: 81-93 Hood on a '78