1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 06:07 PM
tjco
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel pump replacement

Hey all, working on a fuel pump replacement here. Got my old pump out, as you can see there’s a void on my new one where I assume I’m supposed to swap that vent thing onto it. Can’t seem to figure out how to remove it from the pump though. Would appreciate some help.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I believe it is just held in place by that grommet. Trouble is, those tend to dry out, and harden, and you break that part when attempting to remove it..... If you can, see if you can press it out from INSIDE, rather than pry it out from on top there.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:42 PM
tjco
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I believe it is just held in place by that grommet. Trouble is, those tend to dry out, and harden, and you break that part when attempting to remove it..... If you can, see if you can press it out from INSIDE, rather than pry it out from on top there.
Okay I’ll try that quick thank you. I was trying to pull it out from up top but it sounded like it was cracking so I stopped lol. Do you know what the part is called in case I break it? Are new ones even available anywhere?

Old 10-06-2022, 06:53 PM
tjco
Amateur

Okay I got it out and the grommet is actually in decent condition. Next hard part is getting it back through the new fuel pump lol. Is there any kind of lubricant I could put on the rubber to make this easier that won’t be bad if it gets in the gas tank?

Edit for anyone else doing the job; I used petroleum jelly on the gasket for lubrication, popped it off the rollover valve and pushed it into the hole on its own and then pressed the valve back into the gasket. Apparently the rollover valve isn’t available for sale anymore if you break them so thankfully I didn’t have that issue. If you do, pick a part seems to be the best bet. I’ve also seen plastic welders online recently, I wonder if those would be usable for those of you that did break them. Someone should try and do a write up if they get decent results.

Last edited by tjco; 10-06-2022 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

for future reference it is usually easier and cheaper to just replace the pump and strainer. you can replace it them for about $30-40. only reason i would consider replacing a whole assembly is if you needed a new fuel lever sensor. some get glitchy with age. friends truck drops to empty when between 1/8 and 1/4 tank but the truck also has over 500k on it.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:18 PM
tjco
Amateur

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
for future reference it is usually easier and cheaper to just replace the pump and strainer. you can replace it them for about $30-40. only reason i would consider replacing a whole assembly is if you needed a new fuel lever sensor. some get glitchy with age. friends truck drops to empty when between 1/8 and 1/4 tank but the truck also has over 500k on it.
I went to autozone and the only thing they sold was the full assembly so I just went with that. Figured if I took the bed off to get all this work done I might as well replace everything I can so I don’t have to work on this stuff again for a while lol. I did need a new sensor though, my gas gauge stopped working completely a few weeks before I had a fuel line blow out which is why I’m working on it now. So that’s good news I guess. Good looks though, I’ll have to keep that in mind if I have to get in the tank again.

By the way, since I got the truck a year or two ago it’s had a strong gas smell to it. I’ve seen some people talking about it in other threads about the gas tank, is there a known cause/fix for that? Kinda like to get it taken care of as well while I’m in there if I can.

Last edited by tjco; 10-06-2022 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

places like rockauto are pretty good for getting stuff like pumps if you do not need it immediately or you could always check them for a part number then look on amazon.

i would assume if you are smelling gas it is likely leaking somewhere or not sealed.

Old 10-07-2022, 02:30 AM
tjco
Amateur

I checked rockauto after I bought the pump through autozone unfortunately. It all worked out though, like I said the new sending unit will be nice too.

The fuel smell could’ve been caused by a small crack in the fuel line that ended up blowing out, I’m not sure. My initial assumption was that it was because my exhaust had rotted off right after the cat but as I was looking through forums I saw a few other people mention a similar smell. Thought there might be a known issue that caused these trucks to reek of gas. Doesn’t really bother me either way but I get a lot of comments about it lol

Old 10-08-2022, 08:06 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i just find a lot of the time rockauto is much cheaper than the local auto parts store but you also generally end up having to wait a couple days to receive stuff. i have likely saved thousands over the years ordering from them especially if you get the parts dirt cheap on clearance.

a leaking fuel line will definitely cause a smell.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i just find a lot of the time rockauto is much cheaper than the local auto parts store but you also generally end up having to wait a couple days to receive stuff. i have likely saved thousands over the years ordering from them especially if you get the parts dirt cheap on clearance.

a leaking fuel line will definitely cause a smell.
The problem I have had with RA is, sure, the parts are cheap, but, shipping makes it less expensive for me to just cruise into town, and pick up parts at my local store.....

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement