1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire size help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 01:01 PM
Pyroneus Dawnlight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire size help

So my truck is finally getting a fresh paint job, and I figured what better time to upgrade my tires. I've always had issues keeping my rear tires gripping the pavement on rainy days, which is my fault for pushing so much horsepower back there Thequestion is, what tire sizes will fit under the truck and what rim sizes do people recommend? I'm looking at either 17 or 18 inch rims, and I feel like 31 or 32 inch tires is as tall as I want to go. I'm not lifting the truck or cutting the fenders. I'm thinking about a 1 or at most 2 inch body lift in the far future, but if the tires pick the truck up enough I won't do it. It's sitting on 235/75R15s now, that was the stock size. I just want nicer rims and slightly wider and taller tires, to fill out the wheel wells. I don't want any scrubbing either, tires are too expensive to be rubbing them away on anything other than the pavement.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Those are roughly 30" tall, by about 9.5 inches wide. I would guess your rims are 15X8??? You can to a 31X10 with zero issues, so long as you stick with close to the same backspacing on your new wheels.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:12 PM
Pyroneus Dawnlight

The 235s are 28.9 inches tall, and yes the rims are 15x8. Would an extra half inch of width matter too much? I can actually get a deal through my workplace on Bridgestone's Dueler Revo 3. 265/60R18, that's 30.5 inches tall and 10.4 inches wide. Alternatively, a 265/65R17 is the same dimensions but with more sidewall from the rim diameter. Both sizes are offered for this tire, and they ride well from experience, my boss has a similar size on his truck. Do these trucks handle better with less sidewall? The next size up I think is way too big, it's 31.6 inches by 10.5 so that's probably not an option since it adds a good bit of sidewall and doesn't sound like it would fit anyhow.

Old 01-18-2023, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Generally, the more sidewall you have, the better the ride. Shorter sidewalls tend to give better handling.... Though, in a truck, handling isn't one of it's strong suits in any event. Either size will likely work fine for ya.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:22 PM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

17's are likely the better price point. Lots of sizes in 29-33". You're losing 2" of rubber already from 15's... I'd stop there.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:18 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

is it for a 2wd or 4wd truck? taller or wider tires wont help you get better traction especially on wet days. you likely need to invest in better quality tires. i had some pretty good luck with Michelin tires on my ramcharger. first time the tires broke loose on a wet day getting up to speed on a highway it definitely scared me especially since i didn't realize it had a LSD. that was with the crappy tires that came on it. the Michelin tire i was happy with is to the left. had way better traction with it in the rain than any other tires i have had on my ramcharger.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:33 AM
William Scott
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
is it for a 2wd or 4wd truck? taller or wider tires wont help you get better traction especially on wet days. you likely need to invest in better quality tires. i had some pretty good luck with Michelin tires on my ramcharger. first time the tires broke loose on a wet day getting up to speed on a highway it definitely scared me especially since i didn't realize it had a LSD. that was with the crappy tires that came on it. the Michelin tire i was happy with is to the left. had way better traction with it in the rain than any other tires i have had on my ramcharger.
These are some good ones

Last edited by William Scott; 01-23-2023 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:57 AM
Pyroneus Dawnlight

I've decided to go with 17x9s for the rims, and Bridgestone's Dueler Revo 3 for the tires, in a 265/65. Will post pics once the truck is back from paint and I have them mounted.

Quick Reply: Tire size help