1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Voltage Jumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 10:30 PM
JXTNSADVNTR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Jumps

1993 W150, 5.9l 360 Magnum

So, I've noticed a weird issue with my truck this last week. While driving, my volt gauge will randomly drop almost all the way down, (to the first dash after the 8, I think 9 or 10), I believe this is an altimeter issue, however I was hoping that I could get some other input on other possible problems. I plan on checking the alternator later this week. What are the odds of it being a bad battery or a possible computer issue?

Old 01-24-2023, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Altimeter? What altitude do you generally drive at? (posting from a phone by any chance?? )

Voltage regulator is in the PCM, you can pull the alternator, and have it tested, if it passes..... may wanna investigate the external regulator fix.

The following users liked this post:
JXTNSADVNTR (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 04:39 PM
JXTNSADVNTR

Ha, I was definitely posting on my phone last night... but around 5,800 - 6,000 ft. lol

Anyways, I got the alternator tested today, and it may be a bad voltage regulator in the computer, but as it was still hooked up to the truck at the time I'm going to pull it off and get it tested again. I also plan on checking all of my fusible links that tie into the power system and computer. I'm new to an older dodge, so I have a fair bit of learning on it's systems, diagnosis, and repairs. Hopefully it's not a computer issue.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by JXTNSADVNTR
Ha, I was definitely posting on my phone last night... but around 5,800 - 6,000 ft. lol

Anyways, I got the alternator tested today, and it may be a bad voltage regulator in the computer, but as it was still hooked up to the truck at the time I'm going to pull it off and get it tested again. I also plan on checking all of my fusible links that tie into the power system and computer. I'm new to an older dodge, so I have a fair bit of learning on it's systems, diagnosis, and repairs. Hopefully it's not a computer issue.
And he has a sense of humor! We're gonna like this one.

Get the alt tested, let us know the results.

The following users liked this post:
JXTNSADVNTR (01-24-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 11:01 PM
JXTNSADVNTR

So, I finally got around to working on my truck after work today; and I discovered that my B+ terminal cable at the slip ring had burned up. Not only that but it had gotten hot enough that it welded the slip ring, nut, and stud together which then snapped off. All together, I'm replacing the alternator, and most likely going to have to replace the alternators wiring harness. It's nice to know what's wrong, but I'm not exactly happy about it. Do y'all think that it's likely this burned up the PCM as well? I did check the wires, and the burned portion only went back around 3 inches. I may be able to salvage this wiring harness, but I won't know until friday when I have some more experienced help. (My dad)

EDIT *Fixed some of the Terminology*

Last edited by JXTNSADVNTR; 01-25-2023 at 11:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Voltage Jumps