1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

84 d150 rear end swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 04:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Run the stock one, see what ya think. If the rears are overpowered, consider an adjustable valve.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:30 PM
dcbigbrown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thank you!

Old 04-20-2023, 05:47 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

should only need to change the proportioning valve if the new axle has disk brakes. the shocks mounts should not be an issue. i think even the driveshaft should be fine. it is not like you are going to a dana 60. you will likely need get rims that are like on new trucks for the axle which will require spacers to run the matching rims in the front and it will be hard on the spindles. you could always ask for measurements. it would be easy for them to measure from backing plate to backing plate and you can do the same. you can also he measurements from leaf spring perch to leaf spring perch. it will help you figure out how different they are.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:11 PM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbigbrown
Ahhhh got ya. Well you have given me a lot more confidence in this swap for sure, any ideas for the proportioning?
I don't have discs, but in case I do, I picked up a generic brass disc/disc prop valve from a hotrod supply shop - similar to what summit racing sells. I'm not sure if the stock master is appropriate. Will jump off that bridge when I get to it.

The newer axle should be roughly 70" wide instead of the original 65" in yours. This is measured across the wheel mounting surfaces. Backing plate measurements aren't reliable, as brake designs vary so much.

Edit: spacers with later wheels (positive offset) aren't hard on front spindles or bearings; they cancel each other out and tire ends up where its supposed to be.

Last edited by u2slow; 04-20-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 84 d150 rear end swap