1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Squirrely

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 07:12 PM
Tigler37
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Power Steering Squirrely

1985 W150, 318 automatic. I replaced the power steering pump, and in the process had to removed the steering gearbox to replace the pressure line (which also needed replaced, was shooting out more fluid than the pump). Upon getting it back on the road my steering is too easy/light. The wheels turn so easy that I am afraid that a small twitch is going to send me into the ditch. There is some slop in the steering coupler, and some in the box itself, but when going down the road it feels almost like the front end is floating or driving on ice. I am not sure the best way to describe it, but the play in the steering doesn't bother me at the moment as I am already planning on the Borgeson shaft and probably gear box. I have heard that there is some adjustment in the steering box itself, but I'm not sure if that will tighten up what I need.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:31 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

are you sure the slop in the box and not in the drag link? you can adjust the box but most of the time the slop is in the drag link or steering coupler and these 2 together can make for a very scary ride.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:38 PM
Tigler37

Yes, the slop is in the box. I held on to the outside of the coupler and turned it while watching the splines on the box move. I will not be able to re-build the coupler until tomorrow afternoon. But I am planning on doing that once the parts come in.

Last edited by Tigler37; 04-16-2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:17 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i wouldn't waste time rebuilding the coupler. once you dig the mud out of it you likely just make the steering worse. best to just get a new steering shaft even if it is just one of the cheap ones off ebay or amazon that are $40. they are still way better than a rebuilt stock coupler on the 4x4's. if the steering box has pay then adjust it. it only takes a few minutes and only requires a Allen key and wrench.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 04-16-2023 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1SaltyGreenBean (11-12-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 09:48 PM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not a fan of adjusting the nut on the steering box. The middle range typically gets the wear, so when you take up that slack, you put the rest of the steering range into bind.

The effortless/squirrelly steering may be partly due to the caster being erased from spring sag and bushing compression. You can make up a set of 5" shackles and get some caster back. Truck should steer itself (straight) at speed.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:39 PM
Tigler37

It may very well be from a lack of caster. The front leafs are parallel to the ground with absolutely zero arch or curve to them. It may not be the right answer, but I’m going to try pulling the drive belt off the power steering pump and see if it makes it easier to control on the road. I’m cool with having to work a little harder if it means I can control it going down the road. I’ve only got two days before I’m going to have to either drive the truck or leave it where it sits for the next six months to a year.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

When the power steering pump failed on my truck, it made it almost impossible to control. Steering effort was thru the roof.... I fixed the same afternoon... it was horribly unsafe to drive.

The following users liked this post:
1SaltyGreenBean (11-12-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 12:45 PM
Tigler37

I appreciate the concern. As of now I have only done a couple laps of the driveway (couple miles on rough dirt). While driving it without the pump being driven by the belt I could definitely tell that it was harder to drive, but it felt much more controllable. At this point I need to bleed the brakes again before I put it back on the road and I won't be able to do that until later this afternoon. I found on a different forum that someone mentioned a "poppet valve" being stuck open could cause the light steering, but I haven't been able to find a way to unstick the valve. I need to have this truck back together and ready to drive tomorrow night or early Wednesday morning. I have found a parts store a couple hours away with a steering box in stock for a couple hundred dollars as opposed to all my local stores that can get them pretty quick for 700+. However, I know that the pitman arm currently installed is seized like hell to the box. I tried PB Blaster, a torch and a couple different pullers and only succeeded in bending a puller, and the same with the drag link. If I can find a new pitman arm and drag link I am considering replacing all three components and hoping that will fix my issue.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:00 PM
Tigler37

After doing some looking I can get everything but the pitman arm by tomorrow morning, and if I had to I can just cut the shaft off of the old box and but the pitman arm in a press. I am trying to drive this truck 800 miles over the course of two days, and would love to have power steering; but if it comes down to it I'm not opposed to using my youth while I've still got some and musceling it all the way there.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The flow control valve is in the pump, so, changing the pump should put a new valve into the mix. It's also possible something in the box itself is kinda wonky.... giving you the super-powered steering.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Squirrely