1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

81 D150 - Brake Booster Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 10:56 AM
abcdefghii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 D150 - Brake Booster Options

I recently picked up an 81 D150, which at some point the previous owner removed the brake booster. I'd like to put that back, but as I am sure many of you know they are almost impossible to find. While I am not entirely opposed to used (some listed on car-part.com) when it comes to brakes, I'd prefer not to gamble. I can find boosters for a 1985 in stock, but they appear to slightly different to the 1981 so I am not sure it will work without some modification.

I did find a post on a Ramcharger forum that said "ALL my trucks and RC (Not my van), have the same 85 W250 Booster, and master. The 70's vehicles, I had to change the bolt on the brake pedal, or swap to an 80's brake pedal. Otherwise it is a direct swap." which makes me wonder if possibly the 85 booster will work, although I would have to also add a new master cylinder, but if that gets me working power brakes then I have no complaints at buying both the master cylinder and booster. But.... outside of that one post, I cannot really find anything to confirm if the 85 will work on the 81.

Does anyone know if the parts from the 1985 truck can work on the 1981? Thanks

Old 10-31-2023, 05:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

What about hydraboost units? Those still available? Bit more expensive though....

Old 10-31-2023, 07:09 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Look the part #/s up on rock auto and see if they will work on different years. I looked one up and it has a listing from 1979-1983.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:01 AM
abcdefghii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What about hydraboost units? Those still available? Bit more expensive though....
I need to look into that a little, stumbled across it mentioned in a couple posts yesterday but did not dive into it much. I guess it depends on how much more a bit more expensive is. Not that I plan to be cheap with brakes, but if it ends up being a lot more it makes it a little tougher pill to swallow.

Edit: Looks like $1,700 or so, dang, readily available is a bonus, but that might have to go on the back burner for a bit as a future upgrade.

Originally Posted by Moparite
Look the part #/s up on rock auto and see if they will work on different years. I looked one up and it has a listing from 1979-1983.
That's what I had been doing, 84 and up there are boosters available, anything before then, at least in that 79-83 range, nothing. I am somewhat tempted to order the parts from an 84 up and see if they can fit (I'd order both the master cylinder and booster), worst case I'd need to return them.

Last edited by abcdefghii; 11-01-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 81 D150 - Brake Booster Options