1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

remove spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 06:55 AM
sidsdodge92
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I don't have the money to have it made and it's beyond my fabrication skills, but I'd like to make a curved recess in the bed side and mount the tire there with a metal cover. I had a flat once and the truck was loaded with about 3000 pounds of roofing tabs. We like to never got the spare out from under it to change it.
Now there might be an idea...cut the spare tire area out of the trunk of a car and weld that in the bed where the spare tire sits under it... hummmmmmmm I like this kinda thinking...

Old 05-27-2024, 09:30 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I don't have the money to have it made and it's beyond my fabrication skills, but I'd like to make a curved recess in the bed side and mount the tire there with a metal cover. I had a flat once and the truck was loaded with about 3000 pounds of roofing tabs. We like to never got the spare out from under it to change it.
Not sure if its the same as your idea, I've seen some old camper conversion specials from the 80s that had the bedside open up. Kinda like the tool box storage on the old adventurer pickups and stored the spare on the side of the frame.

I've been trying to design up something as id like to get the spare tire fuel tank on my dually

Old 05-28-2024, 07:15 AM
sidsdodge92

i was thinking along these lines for spare tire in the bed of my truck..maybe cut the part where the tire sits in a car and weld in / fabricate that into truck bed.. ive never seen anybody do this ..........

There should be plenty of room between the frame rails ( i think )

Old 05-28-2024, 08:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by sidsdodge92
i was thinking along these lines for spare tire in the bed of my truck..maybe cut the part where the tire sits in a car and weld in / fabricate that into truck bed.. ive never seen anybody do this ..........

There should be plenty of room between the frame rails ( i think )
Depends on what size your tires are.

Also, with it in the bed, under a cover, what happens when you get a flat, with a load in the bed.

Old 05-28-2024, 08:22 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Depends on what size your tires are.

Also, with it in the bed, under a cover, what happens when you get a flat, with a load in the bed.
Agreed, definitely don't want it to have the possibilities of being covered. Not sure if you've ever had to unload the trunk of a car to get the spare, couldn't imagine a truck.

I'd stick with keeping access under the bed. To start with your idea, though it would be handy, would require complete redesign of the frame cross members to cradle the tire on top of them. Followed but the stringer supports of the bed, if you'd loose must integrity cutting them out.

Old 05-29-2024, 06:52 AM
sidsdodge92

well if truck is loaded probably wont be able to get the spare from under it. my truck sits low to the ground....i always carry tire plugs too an air pump.....learned this from desert driving aint nobody out there but you....
here where i live its gas,chain saw(winter), tire plugs, air pump,water,some food stashed behind seat...oh ya chain is a must, come along is nice too....

Quick Reply: remove spare tire