1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tbi vs carburator

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
steve d100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tbi vs carburator

i have 1989 D100 with throttle body, 318 with what i believe to be about 90,000 miles, thinking about converting to carburator. i am concerned about when computer is eliminated, what will io have reroute as far as electrical if anything. the reason i am considering doing this is i dont believe these computers can be repaired or replaced and i would also like to improve my fuel milage. any help out there?

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,318 Likes on 3,063 Posts

Going to a carb is not going to improve fuel economy, that was the whole idea behind fuel injection, with a feedback loop. (O2 sensor...) The computers ARE replaceable, but, they are getting harder to find.....

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

https://siaelec.com/product/dodge-ec...repair-return/

Not sure the quality but in todays world I couldn't believe someone isn't rebuilding these?

Rock auto also has reman ECUs $170 + Core

Last edited by dodgetruck2; Yesterday at 05:40 PM.
Old Today, 06:58 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 374 Likes on 352 Posts

It's rare but they can go bad. It also controls ignition and if you have the od trans that's another thing. Stick with the efi, If you are concerned about the pcm look up the # on yours and see what you can find on ebay. I had a 90 and no issues with the pcm and it had just over 200K when i sold it.

Quick Reply: tbi vs carburator