1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

200 miles from home

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,336 Likes on 3,078 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
I also thought the V10 shared the same bell housing as the Cummins. This I haven't researched very hard, just a lot of assumed theories that i believe in my mind that haven't been put to voice before typing in this thread. I figured in the early mid 80s when the Cummins development was happening, Big Block transmissions were readily available and already in productions, why not mate it behind the Cummins with some shift point changes and a different converter. Then as the Magnum V10 came to life in the late 80s/early 90s, that transmission would also fit over.

Just what I call logical thinking in my brain, if they're going to keep the 727 design, why make it complicated lol, but they did
Correct. The V-6 and V-8 transmissions won't bolt to the V-10.

Old 08-22-2024, 06:07 PM
Los_Control
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just watching a video talking about gearvendor overdrive units, they are pretty cool for Hot Rods. I know they are commonly used on street driven race cars.
Alex Taylor has a 2500 HP nitro car with a gear vendor. On drag week or power tour they race all day, then switch over to street mode and pull a trailer full of tools to the next event to race all day 200 miles away. .... The gearvendor is durable.

Then the video I watched today was showing a old corvette with a 350 maybe pushing 350 HP ... they call it splitting gears and has a old school dimmer switch on the floor to operate it.
Shifting manually in 1rst gear then turn the gear vendor on, and you get 1rst gear overdrive .... shift into 2nd while bliping the floor shift shuts OD off and normal 2nd gear and when the OD unit gets right pressure turns on and get 2nd gear OD .... All you are doing is changing the gear ratio on the fly.

All we want is a OD unit that works and can cruise freeway speeds without winding the engine rpm overboard. .... We never race on the streets
They have a automatic switch also, they just do their thing with no fancy footwork ... while the optional foot switch is installed and can turn it off or on at anytime.
https://www.gearvendors.com/d2wd3s.html
For a typical Dodge 727, they are $3600 ... not cheap but pretty reasonable in my mind.
They claim 22%-28% percent increased MPG

Old 08-22-2024, 06:17 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

Generally they are 3500, I was quoted the same for my G56, splitting the gears only works if your trans ratios combined with the over drive unit result in a gear ratio between the two transmission gears.

I'm surprised they're pushing that much horsepower through one. They don't brag em up that high on the website. I was even skeptical putting one in my truck being the goal HP is in the 5-600 range.

Old 08-22-2024, 08:54 PM
Los_Control
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a couple years old but hard to find her latest videos on her 55 because she is making so many others .... If you skip forward to the 8 minute mark and watch her race .... she is running a gear vendor and in 4 years I have been watching her, they never had a break down because of the gear vendor ..... she also stated she was running between 3300-3400 HP ... I was being conservative on HP.

I admit I was attracted to her videos because of her legs, she is a totally respectable girl and her Dad is a awesome car builder.
He built this girl a pro street 1969 camaro she drove to high school and beat the pants off all the boys .... now she is a professional driver ....

Everybody that can afford it seems to be running a gear vendor and they work .... once you install the gear vendor you now have to have your drive line shortened .... What was $3600 is now $4000

You might be interested in the video also .... his 55 chebby is pushing 650HP ..... but they are testing the gearvendor on a 350 HP car.

Old 08-22-2024, 09:42 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

Of course gas motors don't make torque like a tuned up diesel. I'd like to see the torque curve of that car. I'm sure its laying some serious numbers but HP is made by RPM and torque. Don't need torque at 8k RPM to make big HP numbers. Clutch drops at 8k still put some extreme stress on the driveline though

Old 08-22-2024, 09:43 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 376 Likes on 354 Posts

The ultimate is a ZF6 or 8. They will bolt to the magnums(at least the ones used by Dodge). All the diesels and V10's used either 47RE or 48RE depending on year. Seems the 48RE was used in the SRT10 trucks(4 door) so does it have the same bell housing? Although there is a big block mopar ultra bell to mate a A518 same as 46RE(pump housing) I was thinking, Since the 47RE uses the same pump housing as the 46 why wouldn't it work on a 47RE? Well the converters are different and don't have a gear for the starter. That would have to be worked out. Still would go with ZF if somebody would make an adapter!

Old 08-22-2024, 09:48 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

Not something I've looked into, is there standalone controllers to run the 6/8 speed? That would be a bigger concern first. I think a CNC cutter with some time could knock out an adapter ring and spacer for the flex plate.

If I ever stumble across a wrecked truck for decent money and the cab intact I wouldn't mind doing a 4th gen dash swap, then I could just run the newer hemi and 6/8 speed in my 06. Enough people have done it, just seems like alot to "adapt"

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Moparite
The ultimate is a ZF6 or 8. They will bolt to the magnums(at least the ones used by Dodge). All the diesels and V10's used either 47RE or 48RE depending on year. Seems the 48RE was used in the SRT10 trucks(4 door) so does it have the same bell housing? Although there is a big block mopar ultra bell to mate a A518 same as 46RE(pump housing) I was thinking, Since the 47RE uses the same pump housing as the 46 why wouldn't it work on a 47RE? Well the converters are different and don't have a gear for the starter. That would have to be worked out. Still would go with ZF if somebody would make an adapter!
Didn't the SRT 10 trucks use the viper motor??? I didn't think the 48 would even bolt to that......

Not something I've looked into, is there standalone controllers to run the 6/8 speed? That would be a bigger concern first. I think a CNC cutter with some time could knock out an adapter ring and spacer for the flex plate.

If I ever stumble across a wrecked truck for decent money and the cab intact I wouldn't mind doing a 4th gen dash swap, then I could just run the newer hemi and 6/8 speed in my 06. Enough people have done it, just seems like alot to "adapt"
They are out there, but, well into four figures for pricing.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

I was always under the understanding that the SRT10 pickup used a 47RE, but give the production dates, the 48RE would make more sensor. Though the SO Cummins used the 47 into the early 04 model year I believe, along with the Magnum V10. Yes to my knowledge the SRT10 was the Viper motor, but I don't think base features varied much from the Magnum V10, they just gave it some more snort, and improved heads and rotating assembly.

I'm still at the edge of my seat biting my nails waiting for the guy who was putting that V10 in a Plymouth fury a couple years ago, to login again, he said with some mods the Viper heads fit the magnum motor?

Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I was always under the understanding that the SRT10 pickup used a 47RE, but give the production dates, the 48RE would make more sensor. Though the SO Cummins used the 47 into the early 04 model year I believe, along with the Magnum V10. Yes to my knowledge the SRT10 was the Viper motor, but I don't think base features varied much from the Magnum V10, they just gave it some more snort, and improved heads and rotating assembly.

I'm still at the edge of my seat biting my nails waiting for the guy who was putting that V10 in a Plymouth fury a couple years ago, to login again, he said with some mods the Viper heads fit the magnum motor?
I always thought they were two completely different engines..... The truck V-10 was just an expanded 5.9, and a LOT of parts interchange..... the Viper V-10 though, was a design by Lotus..... and a rather different animal. No idea how much truth to that.

Quick Reply: 200 miles from home