1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end tidy-up advice - See images.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Danoh442
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end tidy-up advice - See images.

Just looking for some opinions. I'm trying to tidy up the look of my Dodge Ram, starting with the front. I'd generally be in the less-is-more camp and I prefer clean and simple.

I've started stripping the layers of paint off the bull-bar and I was planning to spray-paint it black but now I'm thinking I might just remove it altogether. I presume it's after market, it's not very attractive really. Any thoughts? Does it add to the truck? I'm leaning towards binning it.

Then the grill and headlight bezels, they've got a few layers of paint on them too. Would anyone know what material these are made of, plastic perhaps? Can I use paint stripper paste (like Nitromors) on this to take it back to whatever is original? Could these be chromed? Any suggestions? I got a little turps on the grill by mistake, see where it looks a bit pink.

Then the orange rectangular lenses under the headlights, (day-time running lights?). Any idea where I might find a replacement for these?

Anything other advice would be much appreciated, notice anything odd that could be improved? I'm also planning to paint the whole truck white but that's a job for later.

Thanks!

Last edited by Danoh442; Yesterday at 07:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,358 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Headlight bezels likely are plastic.... and may have been chromed at one point. You *might* be able to find them, (and the turn signal lenses that are the orange fellers right under 'em) on LMC truck. Maybe.... I don't think I would use any harsh chemicals on them though. Probably eat the plastic.

Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Check rockauto and summit racing for the marker lights. TYC is a common mfr.

The rollbar, grille bar, and driving lights... I think they could all go and clean up the overall look.

​​​​​A blacked out grill could look good on a white truck.

Old Today, 06:15 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 384 Likes on 361 Posts

Wow, That's rare! 4 door long bed. To get paint of plastic parts use a sand blasting (low pressure) with a soft material that will blast the paint away without damaging the plastic. Looks like they painted the whole front end that gray color. I like the orange but would get rid of the white stripe.

Old Today, 08:07 AM
Danoh442

Thanks HeyYou, I was not familiar with LMC so thanks for that, very useful! Yea, I think I'll try just get replacement parts if I can, seems they are not so expensive: https://www.lmctruck.com/lighting/pa...eadlight-bezel

Old Today, 08:21 AM
Danoh442

Thanks u2slow! Great recommendation: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...d250/year/1983

I use RockAuto a lot for my 69 Ford but that's very bare on Dodge Ram D250 stuff. Summit seems to have a lot more.

Ehm, TYC and MFR? Not familiar with those. Is this the same TYC: www.tyceurope.com/? And MFR? The type of headlight? (Sorry, a bit lost!)

Yeah, I hadn't considered the roll bar but I think you're right, it should go. I've rolled a few tractors when younger and I just though good it has them, but I don't think I'll be rolling this. Thanks.

Old Today, 08:26 AM
Danoh442

Thanks Moparite! I think it's meant to be red but yeah, the painted white stripe looks bad. The most recent paintjob was not good, lots of room for improvement there. Thanks for the sand blasting suggestion. I'll look into that. Yeah, it seems to be kind of a rare spec. Thanks again!

Old Today, 09:00 AM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Danoh442

Ehm, TYC and MFR? Not familiar with those. Is this the same TYC: www.tyceurope.com/? And MFR? The type of headlight? (Sorry, a bit lost!)
TYC was the brand (manufacturer) of the lenses that came from Rockauto.

Old Today, 09:04 AM
Danoh442

Ah, thanks u2slow, appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Front end tidy-up advice - See images.