1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1990 Ram

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM
Ram1990
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Ram

1990 Ram 2 WD Diesel
Rebuiling the front end.
The brake line that connects to the hose, no problem disconnecting those two. The problem is the steel brake line and the male swivel I can not get it to swiffel.
I have tried using Blaster Penetrating Oil, Liquid Wrench, CRC Freeze-Off, Kimball Torq CB and a heat gun,
Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Are you talking about the flare nut? Those guys do tend to 'become one' with the line over time... and 30 plus years is plenty of time. May end up replacing the steel line as well.

I have had some success with PB Blaster, getting the nut to break loose from what it screws into, then work it back and forth, being rather generous with the PB..... and they will *sometimes* break loose. Other times..... The line breaks. In that case, I just replace the line.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
Ram1990
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I am refering to, is the male fitting that slides over the steel brake line and is flaired at the end.

Hope this is clearer

I have tried to find NOS brake line but have been unsuccessful so far.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram1990
What I am refering to, is the male fitting that slides over the steel brake line and is flaired at the end.

Hope this is clearer

I have tried to find NOS brake line but have been unsuccessful so far.

You will probably need to buy a section of brake line Keep in mind, in the 1990's, there were several types used. Single flare, double flare, bubble flare. Unless you are doing a perfect restoration, I'd just break the line and put new in next to it. If it breaks, take the end from the old line to the parts store. You'll also need to measure how long you will need as they have various sizes and lengths.

Old Today, 12:47 AM
u2slow
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Buy bulk line, few nuts, and a flaring tool. Replace up to the next junction point.

Old Today, 06:15 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You should be using a flair nut wrench or vice grips, But if you have to resort to vice grips you need to replace the line.

Old Today, 07:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by u2slow
Buy bulk line, few nuts, and a flaring tool. Replace up to the next junction point.

Pay attention to details if you make your own line.

I'm sure everybody here who has done brakes for a while can relate to this. Nothing like getting that perfect flair with the tube bent juuuuust right, then notice the nut laying on the bench

Old Today, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Pay attention to details if you make your own line.

I'm sure everybody here who has done brakes for a while can relate to this. Nothing like getting that perfect flair with the tube bent juuuuust right, then notice the nut laying on the bench

WAY too familiar with that......

Quick Reply: 1990 Ram