1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1986 D150 parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:38 PM
LeChuck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 D150 parts

Hello,

I just bought a used 1986 D150 Custom pickup and it's also my first truck. I'm pretty knowledgeable about Volvo cars but nothing about Dodge truck and I'm a bit lost...

The truck will need a bit of work but there are a few things that I need to fix right now. The driver door sags a bit and as a consequence is very hard to close, especialyl when not lifted up at the same time. I have read that it might be the hinge pin that needs to be replaced ( I guess doing both doors would be good). Do you confirm that is the most likely reason?

When the door is almost closed but not quite (opening is a couple inches) I can rock it slightly (less than 1/2") up and down. I cannot do that when it's fully open, so it looks like it sags only when near the "close" position.

Also, does anyone know where I can find for this truck the "RAM" name plate (or medallion) that goes on the left fender (mine is missing and just leaves 2 holes there). Would the one for a Ramcharger be the same?

Same question actually for the orange plastic cover that goes over the right (passenger side) parking light. Mine is broken and needs replacing but all I could find was the whole headlight assembly. Can that usually be found at the local auto store?

And does anyone know where to find replacements for those little screw-in door lock pulls?

Those are the few things I'd like to fix/change right now, before I can afford to repaint the truck, reupholster the bench seat, change the carpet etc etc...

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2006, 10:35 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 1986 D150 parts

Welcome to DF!

It certainly sounds like the hinge pins are worn, along with the brackets in the door that hold the hinge pins. You can usually get a kit from the local auto store that will do 1 door. You have to take the door off to do it though [:'(] Just did a driver door on a 99 Silverado last week. Used a cherry picker to get the door off/on. (You need a TALL cherry picker )

The RAM nameplate could probably be found on ebay. I don't think the Ramcharger one would be the same. They usually said RAMCHARGER

Check ebay for the parking light cover...or a boneyard. Doubtful that an auto parts store would have one, but there might be an aftermarket company somewhere out there making OEM replacements for them.

Not sure what you mean by "screw in door lock pulls" [&:] Can you get a picture?

Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 PM
LeChuck

Hey, thanks for the answers!

The pull thing is just the little thingy you pull on to manually unlock the doors from the inside. Just those cheap little long plastic mushrooms.

It's kind of a pain that you just can't buy a light cover replacement from a store...I guess that's what it's like to buy an old truck.

A cherry picker doesn't sound like it's going to be a possibility though. Is the door *that* heavy?

Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 PM
rmharris

i think he's talkin just about the things you pull up/push down to lock/unlock the doors. if thats the case then probably a boneyard for original ones or i know riebes sells new ones that are skulls, cobra heads, etc...

Old 07-18-2006, 10:48 PM
rmharris

if its a first generation dodge then the doors are gonna b pretty heavy but if you got a few hands helpin you may not need it but if its just you then it would be a good idea

Old 07-18-2006, 10:49 PM
LeChuck

ok, so how does one get to replace parts on a truck like that if there isn't a boneyard and/or a dead truck somewhere?

I found a few online places but it seems difficult to figure out if it's the right part for the right truck and you can never see what it looks like to make sure.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 PM
LeChuck

ORIGINAL: rmharris

if its a first generation dodge then the doors are gonna b pretty heavy but if you got a few hands helpin you may not need it but if its just you then it would be a good idea
Looks like it will be time to pull the teenager away from the TV...

Old 07-18-2006, 10:59 PM
rmharris

ORIGINAL: LeChuck

ok, so how does one get to replace parts on a truck like that if there isn't a boneyard and/or a dead truck somewhere?

I found a few online places but it seems difficult to figure out if it's the right part for the right truck and you can never see what it looks like to make sure.
you might have to go to a dealer but if you can find a dodge truck of the same model only a year or two older or newer, they use the same parts depending on what it is

Old 07-19-2006, 03:17 AM
Chump
Captain

Door hinge and bushing kit for 1 door.
HELP/Dorman part# 38386
NAPA part# BK 6755151

The park lense is part of the headlight door/bezel so you will have to get the whole thing.
Used or new aftermarket at www.car-part.com search under "headlight door".
On the web there are many places to get an aftermarket bezel. There are 2 types...Painted and Chrome.
Dodge part numbers below...
4249812 BEZEL, H/Lp.Assy. Park & Turn Signal (BRIGHT)-R/H
4249813 BEZEL, H/Lp.Assy. Park & Turn Signal (BRIGHT)-L/H
4249810 Painted-R/H
4249811 Painted-L/H

The "RAM" nameplate..Dodge part#
4260259 D-1,2,3 NAMEPLATE, Fndr., "RAM"
Best thing is to try the classified ads for trucks being parted out. Can try www.junkyarddog.com or here's a good site... http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/...hp?board=122.0
I think these are used on the full size vans also.

Door lock *****...Dodge part#
3419209 ****, Front Door Lock Locking Control, w/o Door Locks
Again, try the classified ads, your local parts store "HELP" section, junkyarddog, etc.

Hope this helps some.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 AM
LeChuck

Thanks, this helps a lot! The part numbers will help make sure I'm ordering the right parts. I think I will save up to buy those chrome headlight doors to replace the painted ones.

Quick Reply: 1986 D150 parts