1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing Gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 PM
kupuni
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Gearing?

Hi Dodge folks,
I've got a '90 W250 4x4 5 speed with 4.10 gearing in the Dana front and rear. It also has a Gear Vendor that I only use in 5th over. I'm thinking about changing to the 3.54 or 3.73. I tow a 2 horse trailer and an 18ft travel trailer once in a while and hay. Right now I'm running at about 1800 to 2000 RPM at 70 mph. in 5th over and I don't use first gear at all. I'd like to get better mileage but I don't want to gear so low that I can't use the GV in 5th over for lack of power( too low RPMs ) if that's possible. I talked to a Dodge parts dude today who said that the 3.73 ring and pinion isn't available for my truck; only 3.54, 3.07 and the 4. stuff. Yet I talked to Just Differentials dude who implied that it is.Who's right? Is there any reason I couldn't do the work myself; like $500 tools that would be only used once. I've changed axles and rear ends on cars but never on a 4x4. Dodge wants $1100 plus just for labor. I could buy a lot of fuel with that much money. What's your thoughts

Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing Gearing?

Mopar might not make a 3.73 ring/pinion set for those axles, but other vendors certainly do - Yukon Gear does for sure, both forward and reverse cut for D44 and D60 applications.

If you've done gears before there's no reason why you couldn't do them again. Typically you're looking at about a thousand bucks parts/labor (in my area) to swap gears front and rear. I hate tinkering with stuff, so I'd probably leave the setup to a pro. That's perhaps the only reason I haven't gone higher in my Ram, too spendy right now. I need a new motor more than gears.

1800-2000 is actually about where you want to be, since lower than that you're below the optimal torque range. Call up one of the guys at Randy's Ring and Pinion and talk to them.

Quick Reply: Changing Gearing?