1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

speedometer problem---need help--need (good) info

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM
joebuzz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer problem---need help--need (good) info

hi guys its me again..........i am still unable to find .....any....information about recalibrating a speedometer on my 92 dodge truck....( 5 spd manual, 5.9 cummins, 4x4 , origional tire size 235-85R-16 tire size now 245-75R-16)........the truck has a sensor on the transfer case with 2 wires comming off of it.....there is ....no speedometer cable....

question: is it a gear that can be replaced that works the sensor? i removed the sensor and the shaft looks like an allen wrench that goes into the housing at the back of the transfer case....there has to be a gear or something to turn this shaft for the sensor to read......is it done thru the computer or by a gear.......who made the transmissions for dodge......they might know .....i e-mailed customer service at dodge and they haven't replied.....

i neeeeeds help.....i neeeeeeeds the wisdom of the group......maybe someone knows something about this or can tell me where i can get the information.....HELP!!!!!.

joebuzz

Old 11-09-2006, 03:07 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: speedometer problem---need help--need (good) info

Just go to your local dodge dealer and talk to the parts guys. I've got an auto in my 86 and it's a different setup than yours so I can't really help.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:27 PM
joebuzz

i have tried the local dealer.....they say sensor.....just replace the old one with a new one for $160...if i do that the new one will read like the one in there now.....nothing will have changed but the sensor.....ratio of turns will be the same......

they could only... guess... that that would fix it........buying parts is how i wound up with a crank shaft sensor when the problem was actually the computer.......the speedometer works....it reads and is consistant....it doesn't jump or anything...it just reads slow.....my problem at the local dealer is that they were not here in 92....they have no older manuals.....there has to be something out there somewhere where i can get a definative this is how to do this..........

Old 11-09-2006, 06:25 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[:'(]

Your local dealer sounds like this place - not much help for us first gen guys.

www.ramchargercentral.com is where you'll find a ****-ton of guys who KNOW their first gen trucks. This place is all about euro tails, body kits, lowering kits and all kinds of cosmetic stuff, but there's not a lot of info for older trucks where that **** isn't important.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:15 PM
dodgedakotacrazy
Professional

there should be a gear on the end of it....pull it out and look for you're self...that will eliminate questions....also if its like the sensor on my shadow and lot of cars around that year its a gear driven sensor..which i'd bet is what you have so all you have to do is get the right gear for your tire selection.

Old 11-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Chump
Captain

I'm guessing you have a 3/4 ot 1 ton? And that you have an NP205 Transfer Case?
Is this the sensor arrangement you have?
Pull your pinion out and count the number of teeth on it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/E53D865B50A84F23A3A6A4C9D55382FD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 AM
Rhett Lake

This is probably to late to be of benefit to you but I will send it anyway. The sensor with the two wires on it has a gear on the end of it just like a speedometer cable. The sensor drives the computer which drives the speedometer. Some of the older dodge trucks had a problem with the nut on the transmission output shaft getting loose. It the nut loosens the worm that drives the gear will slip and the speed reading will be off, fluctuating, or non- existant. The nut is supposed to be tightened to about 300 or 350 pounds of torque. I hope this helps.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM
beastmobile

I actually just had this issue with an overdrive I put in. The transfer case has a nylon gear which drives the speed sensor. This gearis replaced with one containing more or less teethwhen the tire size changes. You need to know all your gear ratios and tire size. Call a Four-wheel-drive shop and request a gear to match you ratios. Also you may be able to order the correct gear from Gear Vendors (an overdrive manufacturer) in San Diego. Napa and Carquest might be a help as well. Hey good luck!

Quick Reply: speedometer problem---need help--need (good) info