2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Mods / Hacks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 PM
SueK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MyGIG Mods / Hacks?

ORIGINAL: futil

"THIS **** HAS TO END & END NOW!" ?? What are you kidding me?

Show me stats on how many people have died while watching a DVD in their car. Tell me you don't fiddle with your radio while driving and change stations.. Tell me you don't talk to other passengers in your car.

There are tons of distractions while driving.. the key to not plowing into stuff is being able spend more time looking at the road more than performing other tasks in the car. People can watch DVDs safely in the car if the driver doesn't stare at the screen and these laws were put into place for the people that cant walk and chew gum at the same time.

People die all the time because of careless acts and more of those acts don't have laws against them than the ones that do. How about when a driver has an item other than a cell phone slide off the seat and onto the floor then reaches down to pick it up and gets into an accident? Should we pass a law that requires all items in a vehicle be velcroed to the vehicle? Should we just banall items from being inside cars? How about a screaming child in the car? Well that can be distracting / dangerous.. lets tie the kids to the roof.. I can go on and on but no matter what is banned or what laws are passed accidents are still going to happen because of careless driving and bad driving habits.. there will always be distractions.

I have had DVD players in my car since they were available, I have a Sony UX handheld computer on a gooseneck and before that I had a laptop. and I never got into an accident while using them cause I was responsible about it.
I am not arguing that everyone can multitaskor thateveryone should multitask in a vehicle but there are people that can.. Police cruisers have computers in their cars and they're typing junk in there while there driving and some people have been doing it for many years without incident.

Point being though is that my car has a DVD player that I can only use in park and I don't tell my wife "Hey hon lets sit in thedriveway for 2 hours and watch a movie".. We don't consider that a quality date.. I am in my car because I need to go somewhere and if the feature is there, I want the ability to use it and my passengers want to be able to use it.. I also usually only watch movies that I have seen before in the car so that I wont have the urge to stare at it.. i can just peek down every once in a while but allow the passenger to watch the movie.

I don't think you should be grouping this with the cell phone issue either because I have both handsavailable fordrivingand don't have to lose my concentration because I am not having an active conversation when DVDs are playing while driving.. I treat the DVD as a gauge on my dashboard and glance down at it occasionally when I am driving.. if at all.

There are tons of aftermarket radios without this restriction, and I assumed it would be easier havinga radioinstalled by the factory. So I want the same functionality as an aftermarket radio with a DVD player.I'm here because I want to modify the radio to my specifications.. Not someone else's..If I cared about the laws and restrictions about watching DVDs in the front seat while driving I would shut up and be happy thatI was agood citizenby buying a carwhich has a radio that turns DVD moviesinto books on DVD so I would be protected from the evil temptations of video..

All in all I agree with you that it is a good ideato disablewatching DVDs in drive for drivers that areeasily distractedbut believe it or not there are people that can multitask in a car.I don't need the government, my car manufacturer, or anyone else placing me in a hermetically sealed safety bubble because other people cant multitask responsibly.

****.. I'm sure if I applied myself I could watch DVDs, Talk on my cell phone, Smoke a cigarette, and juggle 3 monkeys while driving 70 mph in Manhattan in rush hour.. Well.. Maybe not in rush hour
Ya but unfortunatley most can't do it as good as you.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:28 PM
SueK
Professional

ORIGINAL: Barry626

ORIGINAL: Ironside

I would LOVE to have the myGIG play DVD's while not in park... that is a very annoying (but probably necessary) safety feature. I just don't like Dodge forcing me to do things by restricting features like that,
I for oneam real glad the law stepped in on this one. No one should be watching a DVD while driving.
Front passenger can do just find with out it to. To many people are dying because of **** like this!
I only wish the law would step in with these F-ucking cell phones. People are dying by the 1000's!
Bluetooth cars people still won't use them they rather show-off holding their freaking phones!

My niece's best girlfriend "Mother" died yesterday Sunday morning @ only 39 years old.
She was coming home from work & got 2 blocks from her house when cell phone fellto the floor.
She bent down to pick it up & loss control of the car @ only 25 MPH. Head hit dash & caused instinct coma.

Few months ago 5 gorgeous young ladies were driving (18 years old) and driver was text messenging.
Car went over the oncoming lane & all 5 were killed instinctly. THIS **** HAS TO END & END NOW!
When these people are on the phone it's way different than changing the radio. You might as well call it drunk driving. I know of MANY people who have been hit or almost hit by people not thinking at all and I'm tired of it. How can they be so selfish? It's the law here in Connecticut and people all ages drive like morons with phones. If they hit me with my kids I know where the phone is going. lol Shame that people drive like they have a loaded gun. I've been to a few funerals that why I get mad!!

Old 10-02-2007, 03:53 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear what youre saying and I do recognize the need for it.. and living in NY I totally see the idiots with their cell phones without a care..

As a matter of fact my wife got into a head on collision with a woman that wasnt paying attention because she was on her cell phone..My wife had 8 broken ribs, multiple lacerations on her face, knee injuries, a broken hip, and a collapsed lung, from the accident and is unable to work because of it to this day..So I really do understand the outcome from people not paying attention on the road..

The funny thing is she is the one that wants the DVD player to work while driving in the car too.. probably more so than me..

I just see it as its not likeI am asking "How do I mount twin 50 caliber machine guns on my car" I'm just looking to get a DVD to play while in drive and as long as I have self control when operating the DVD function while driving I really dont see the harm..

But if given the option of not having it at all or just having to use it in park obviously I would opt for the park only route.. There is a womanat my job that owns a car with navigation and all the same features as the Mygig. Itsupports DVD playback but it only handles MP3 DVDsand spits movie DVDs back out..That really sucks..

Old 10-02-2007, 04:04 PM
SueK
Professional

I hear what youre saying and I do recognize the need for it.. and living in NY I totally see the idiots with their cell phones without a care..

As a matter of fact my wife got into a head on collision with a woman that wasnt paying attention because she was on her cell phone..My wife had 8 broken ribs, multiple lacerations on her face, knee injuries, a broken hip, and a collapsed lung, from the accident and is unable to work because of it to this day..So I really do understand the outcome from people not paying attention on the road..

The funny thing is she is the one that wants the DVD player to work while driving in the car too.. probably more so than me..

I just see it as its not likeI am asking "How do I mount twin 50 caliber machine guns on my car" I'm just looking to get a DVD to play while in drive and as long as I have self control when operating the DVD function while driving I really dont see the harm..

But if given the option of not having it at all or just having to use it in park obviously I would opt for the park only route.. There is a womanat my job that owns a car with navigation and all the same features as the Mygig. Itsupports DVD playback but it only handles MP3 DVDsand spits movie DVDs back out..That really sucks..
That's awful about your wife. I hope she's better now. Actually I can see where a person would like the DVD to played while the car is in motion. Matter a fact I had no idea you couldn't use it. I think it may be closer to being like looking at the speedometer once in awhile if I had it going in my car. Ya if I was a passenger it would be pretty nice on trip to be able to watch a movie.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 PM
jvandover
Amateur

Ok, Well this proves once again I should research things before posting junk all over the forums..

The states that were listed in that addendum are states where the front seat video is COMPLETELY disabled.. meaning that even when the car is in park they cant watch movies. The completely disabled video can be changed easily by a dealer using a diagnostic tool called StarScan ( http://www.dcctools.com/en/starscan/index.html) that interfaces directly with the CAN-bus networking system in the car.

This is not true. I live in Maryland, and have test driven 2 different Avenger's with Mygig and in both of them the DVD player works just fine when it's in park

Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 PM
futil
Veteran

Thanks for letting me know about that jvandover.. Well actually now im back to being confused again lol

I read from a web site that the front playback is totally disabled in those states when I was doingresearch on the addendumbut it isup to the dealer whether to enable the function or not and im sure thelocal enforcementhave better things to check on than if the dealers are disabling the video or not.. In my opinion, The addendum itself was not worded clearly which is what started me searching for more info. I originally assumed that it meant that video was onlylimited to park in those states, and all other states could have video while driving.

Its just a check boxthe dealerhas to check off in StarScan and poof you have video in park so either the info I read about playback being totally disabled was incorrect or the dealers are just enabling the option there. If I was a dealer in a restricted state, I would enable them cause that would bea powerfulextra selling point.

The original addendum info I provided was from Chrysler so the quote from it was correct but whether the states involved have changed is unknown..

Just out of curiosity, if anyone else has video playback in parkin the listed restricted states please let me know.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Barry626
Rookie

ORIGINAL: SueK

****.. I'm sure if I applied myself I could watch DVDs, Talk on my cell phone, Smoke a cigarette, and juggle 3 monkeys while driving 70 mph in Manhattan in rush hour.. Well.. Maybe not in rush hour
Ya but unfortunatley most can't do it as good as you.
Exactly my point!
9-10 people can't do 3 or 4 things @ one time.
In fact no one should be even if u could multi task.
Your putting others lives @ risk not giving 100% attention to your driving!

Others will realize when they lose their love ones because of all distractions in cars today!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 AM
Barry626
Rookie

Thank-God your wife is fine!
But just think how u would feel & entire family as it could of easy went way u did not want it.
Then you would really understand the need not to multi task in a car. Car is a killing machine!
We all want to make it where we are going & not have our lives snuffed out from unreal idiots!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Ironside

ORIGINAL: Barry626

Thank-God your wife is fine!
But just think how u would feel & entire family as it could of easy went way u did not want it.
Then you would really understand the need not to multi task in a car. Car is a killing machine!
We all want to make it where we are going & not have our lives snuffed out from unreal idiots!
If you can't multi-task in a car, or in life, you should be banned from driving. I'm not saying I support people doing 5 billion things at once, but if you can't handle doing more than one thing at once without giving it your full attention, how do you even drive in the first place? I mean, you have to check your side mirrors, rear-view, monitor your speed, watch for traffic, plan your route, eat a sandwich... err.. wait... you get the idea.

Some people are better at multi-tasking responsibly than others, but that is besides the point of my earlier post; I want the myGIG system to work so that my front seat passenger (because let's face it, most trips are only with 1 person in the car, i.e. the wife) can watch a DVD movie while i'm paying attention to the road. The point has already been made that even if you wanted to catch a few peeks at the movie, it would be no different than changing the radio station or checking a gauge, it requires no input, just a glance! ...if you glance down and in that split second of time, road conditions have changed SO dramatically that you get into a huge crash, you were probably following someone too closely or maybe you should have saved the DVD movie for a time where there was less traffic (basically, use common sense... don't jack onyourcollection of Mama's Family DVD'sin the middle of rush hour on the interstate).

Normally I have my tv on in the background while i'm doing other things around the house, working on the computer, etc because I enjoy listening to it (and if it is something i've already seen, I can sort of follow along in my head). Sure you can still play the audio from a movie over the speakers in the car with the front screen off, but without the video that's kind of stupid.

I just got back from a trip from Ottawa Ontario to Windsor (across from Detroit); that is a 9 hour drive for those of you following along at home. I was travelling with my brother who had to sit there like an umpty for the entire trip because my stupid DVD player would not work out of park!!! What should I have my passengers do... sit in the backseat to watch something with the front seat empty? Last I checked I don't have beads on my seat, a hood ornament or a TAXI sign on my roof.

Futil's post sums up pretty well everything else I was GOING to say, and provided me with a nice laugh, so I thank you Futil.

My final point is of course, why would you have a DVD player in your car to begin with if you can only use it in park? Again, referencing futil's post, I don't hang out in my driveway with the wife for hours on end watching movies when I have plenty of TV's inside the damn house!

I'm sorry to hear about everybody's losses, but don't lump everyone into a bad category just because you got burned by a dumbass or two who shouldn't have been licenced to begin with.

PS - I ordered FreeGIG yesterday, so when I get it in i'll report back with how it works, how well it works etc.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 AM
futil
Veteran

By the way.. Anyone that didnt purchase the rear DVD and wants it now can get it here..
http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_avenge..._seat_dvd.html

I guess as an alternative to getting the FreeGIGmod you can mount it backwards and point your rear view mirror at it

Quick Reply: MyGIG Mods / Hacks?