2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

MyGIG Mods / Hacks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:53 AM
iperk7181
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MyGIG Mods / Hacks?

New to this forum...

I live in Vegas, and have an 08 with mygig without nav.
I was wondering what the difference was between the mygig with nav, vs without?
Reading through this string I noticed questions about Video while in park. My system plays video on the head unit while in park, and would love to have video while in drive, for the passenger...
As for the distraction of the video, this is not much worse that NAV for the driver...

Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 PM
needforsleep
Rookie

ORIGINAL: iperk7181

New to this forum...

I live in Vegas, and have an 08 with mygig without nav.
I was wondering what the difference was between the mygig with nav, vs without?
Reading through this string I noticed questions about Video while in park. My system plays video on the head unit while in park, and would love to have video while in drive, for the passenger...
As for the distraction of the video, this is not much worse that NAV for the driver...
The radio code is on the bottom right hand corner of the LCD screen.

If you have Navigation it should say "RER". If you don't have navigation it should say "REN".
They are similar radios but different internal hardware and different software. You need the REN udpate.

BTW, with the RER update I had one issue where my volume was locked out for the entire drive to work. I couldn't turn it up no matter if I was trying FM/HDD/SAT or AM.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:37 AM
needforsleep
Rookie

For people who want to watch videos while driving, just buy a cheap 7" head rest LCD monitor off of eBay, and wire up the monitor to the rear seat video outputs in the back of the MyGig. I've done this and plan to make more harnesses for people who want them. I haven't figured out a price yet because I'm still waiting for a supplier to get back with me.

Basically you can find a set of two 7" Headrest mountable LCD's plus wireless IR headphones for about $150 on eBay. You can probalby find just a simple LCD by itself for under $100. Then with the rear seat video harness you can either mount the LCD on a windshield mount or just leave it in your glovebox and allow passengers to pull it out whenever you're on a long trip.

I personally have one mounted to the back of my passenger head rest for my 2 1/2yr old daughter to watch cartoons in the morning on the way to daycare. Works great with the MyGig.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 PM
cableguyx2002

Dodge Caravan - that will let me watch the DVD while in drive. I found this by accident while my wife was driving and thought I'd share.

Try this:

1. While in Park, bring up the DVD on the front console and start watching the video.
2. Push the Audio button to bring up the balance adjust menu.
3. Put the tranny in Drive and start driving.
4. Push Done on the Audio screen. My system reverts to the playing DVD instead of the standard MyGig menu.

Note - subsequent DVD function or touching the screen reverts but if you leave it alone it plays along smoothly.

Drive responsibly!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 AM
kevduke

ORIGINAL: cableguyx2002

Dodge Caravan - that will let me watch the DVD while in drive. I found this by accident while my wife was driving and thought I'd share.

Try this:

1. While in Park, bring up the DVD on the front console and start watching the video.
4. Push Done on the Audio screen. My system reverts to the playing DVD instead of the standard MyGig menu.

Note - subsequent DVD function or touching the screen reverts but if you leave it alone it plays along smoothly.

Drive responsibly!

I have an '08 Avenger R/T with MyGIG and Nav and it didn't work on mine.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Puulima

Try this:

Drive responsibly!
Hey All - it works!! Just ran out to the van in the freezing cold to try this...worked like a charm. I even put the van in reverse to see what would happen...the REARVIEW camera came on...then I put it back in DRIVE and it went back to the movie...awesome. My wife is all worried about this of course...thinks it will be too distracting...but you shoud see her fiddling with the radio...I'll have to show her how to use the radio controls on the steering wheel...
And BTW: I think it's far easier to drive while your wife goes down on you than trying to talk on a cell phone...I have done both at the same time...only issue that arose (no pun intended) was that she kocked the car out of gear (manual transmission) but there was no traffic on the road at the time...she was drinking aMcD'sshake before she initiated contact...that was a bit of a shock [:-]
Safe driving...

Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 PM
mcinil

Time will tell. Hope it was good for you. First post and all. Still thanks for the info. MC.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This doesn't really apply to Avenger owners..

But in vehicles that have stick shift and MyGIG radios.. all you have to do is put the emergency brake on one click and the DVD Video will play in drive/Reverse or whenever..

It wont work on automatics with or without the sport shifter..

Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 AM
fenderman

This works in my avenger.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 AM
fenderman

ORIGINAL: kevduke

Try this:

Drive responsibly!

I have an '08 Avenger R/T with MyGIG and Nav and it didn't work on mine.
It works on my 08. Just hit the menu button instead of audio.

Quick Reply: MyGIG Mods / Hacks?